Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrungyBoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Was wondering if there is any way I can play my Xbox through my G4 Powerbook. I noticed that there aren't any input jacks on a 17" Powerbook other than the mic, firewire, and USB. Is there any way I can utilize some wires and play my Xbox through my Powerbook?

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
depends

I suppose you could get a USB TV capture box and then plug the Xbox into the input of that and then you could use your laptop screen but not sure on the resolution/quality, plus you wouldnt have any control of the xbox if thats what you are after?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
scottwat said:
I suppose you could get a USB TV capture box and then plug the Xbox into the input of that and then you could use your laptop screen but not sure on the resolution/quality, plus you wouldnt have any control of the xbox if thats what you are after?

Yes, you can. I have a USB tuner, but the quality is ASS. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
dont get a usb one, they suck, firewire ones may be better i would not know, it is going to look crappy as the resolution change just dose not look right on lcd's.

TrungyBoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Does anyone have a direct link to a product in particular? I'm struggling to find one that has DV ports that can plug into a firewire port. All I've seen are firewire capture cards, none for notebooks.

If possible, is there a product that has DV ports and a tv tuner for a notebook?

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I would not reccomend playing it through eye tv or any similar device beacuse there is a 1.5 sec lag between the signal and when you see it. So that when you make a controler movement it will take 1.5 sec for you to see the result. just a cheap 19'' tv for $90. it's cheaper than eyetv and you can watch tv on it and use your powerbook at the same time.

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
Record it though

The only bonus with running it through the laptop is digitally recording the play. Though the lag time would suck and probably the game play like that.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Yeah, the best hardware for this wouldn't even work with and you could afford a few TV's with the money. Everyone has thought of this if they own a computer and a console, the truth is though, it just doesn't work...well, that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.