Any "Where's George?"/"Where's Willy?" folks here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by yellow, Sep 24, 2004.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So, any Georgers or Willyers out there?

If no one know what I'm babbling about, check out http://www.wheresgeorge.com
    You can enter your bills in the database, mark your bills, spend them as normal, and if someone notices them and enters them in the database, you get a notification. It's an amusing, free, way to track your money. If you've ever wondered where the hell that $20 you blew on a lap dance went, this is a good way to try and find out.

My profile: http://www.wheresgeorge.com/user_profile_popup.php?ukey=473895d925b968e7a830dff0e4fd8cab

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Never heard of it till now, but I registered for an account. seems like a total waste of time...perfect for me.

3. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL. As hobbies go, it's pretty useless. But it's somewhat amusing to get a page letting you know that a $5 bill you spent in an "Adult Bookstore" in California was entered by some knucklehead in Indiana who just got it as change from a Pizza guy.

4. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Never heard of it before...

but I regestered today. I got 5 bills entered.

5. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just to warn you.. it may take a while before you get a hit.

Think about how often you actually inspect the bills that you get. Probably not often. This is pretty much par for the course for most people. However, marking the bills in red (or strangely purple) ink seems to catch people's eyes best.

If you do get into marking bills and get tired of writting the website on the bills by hand, there's plenty of stamps available out there for cheap. I've been through a couple of different ones until I settled on 2 that I like a lot, are unobtrusive when stamped on a bill, yet still catch the eye.

The round one that goes around the FRB, and the single line one, which is great for stamping the outter edge of bills.

Here's some links to the place I've gotten all my stamps from:
    Round self-inking stamp
    Single-line self-inking stamp

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sweet idea - I'm going to sign up as well. Regarding the stamps, I've heard that they may make the bills unable to be read by some types of vending machines - have you experienced anything like that?

7. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've been Georging for nearly 2 years now. I regularly mark all my cash and I've really only had troubles a hand full of times. At least half of those were because the bill was in such bad shape. The other half, I just tried another marked bill and it worked. Caveat being that I don't use vending machines all that often, maybe twice a month.

8. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

neat site. I tried entered in 10 of my canadian bills and none of them and been entered. And then I tried 5 american bills and none of those had been entered either. Oh well, now I'll just have to go spend the cash and tell the person to enter it :D