Any Windows iPod users? . . . long sync recognition?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dxm113, Aug 26, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    Is it normal for a WinXP to take several minutes (upwards of 5) to recognize an iPod? Is this normal?

My Fiance' has a brand new 60GB iPod, and (unfortunately) has a Gateway w/ WinXP. The problem is: my iPod (Al PB G4) will recognize and sync with my iPod quickly, hers takes several minutes on XP. Is this normal?

thanks in advance for any input

(i know, i know . . . tell her to get a mac :rolleyes: )
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    My PC is also a little slower at recognizing iPods than my Mac Mini. I have a 4 year-old Gateway with WinXP. It doesn't take anywhere near five minutes though - maybe 30 sec - 1 minute, max. Does her system run slow for other tasks/apps? Windows can easily get bogged down by background services, etc. Plus by default, Dell/Gateway systems come with a lot of unnecessary junk running in the background. Check the Task Manager, is her machine pegged on CPU, or more likely, RAM?
  3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I know my iPod can take upward of three minutes before my PC recognises it. My Macs are obviously (thankfully) much faster, just a matter of seconds. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Is the whole PC running slowly, she might just inundated with spyware or something.
  4. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I just tested mine (1.6GHz PM Thinkpad T41p) - 50 seconds.

Are you sure it's five minutes? When you're sitting and waiting it can seem much longer than it really is. I was sure my PC took several minutes to recognize it.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    i just timed it:

1:30 until XP recognized, about 3:00 to finish sync (added ~ 6 CDs)

She says it has taken longer for Xp to recognize the iPod each other time.

I dunno . . . I guess 1:30 seems reasonable

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Circumventing the multi-verse...
    are using usb on the pc and firewire on the mac?
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005

She's connected via USB, and I use Firewire

I had thought that USB 2.0 (on Win) and firewire (on mac) were comparable, but that may be contributing to the differences

I'm not terribly concerned with the recognition times . . . was just wandering if that was the norm.