Any wireless router or Apple product only?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SolidGun, Jul 28, 2004.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I am looking to purchase a wireless router and strongly considering Netgear WGT624.
    From what I have read, most routers are compatible with Airport Exress card in recent PBs. Anyone that uses wireless networking, could you share your experience on your wireless routers?
    Should I pay extra for the Apple Airport Extreme? Is it better than others?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

At home I have a G4 Desktop, a PB w/ Airport Extreme, and an iBook with Airport. I have a NetGear WG614. It works like a charm. If you have an 802.11b & 802.11g device on the same WiFi network, the WiFi will only work as fast as the slowest link (802.11b).

3. discomonkey macrumors newbie

i've got an old d-link 514 (b network) at home that works perfectly fine. solid connection.

4. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Thank you for the reassurance, I think I will go ahead and order it.
    If anyone else is interested in one, there is one for sale at Buy.com for $69.89 but if you search you will find $25 rebate coupon(the one listed on site is for only $20). Just FYI.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I have a question then to keep this thread alive.

Why is the airport so much? I like it (and want to stick with apple) but the Airport Extreme cost aton!

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Limited marketability? Same reason that Macs "appear*" to cost so much more then a WinTelThon? Automagical configuration?

* I say appear because a suitable loaded WinTelThon can cost just as much.

7. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Disagree

Just a heads up: This router works poorly with my Airport Extreme (internal) card in my brand new Powerbook G5. I have heard the same thing from a couple other individuals.

8. Crikey macrumors 6502

Whoa! Was there a hardware release yesterday (Tuesday) that I didn't hear about? ;-)

I set up a DI-514 for a friend who has a TiBook, and it works okay from what I hear.

Crikey