Any Word On An Xbox360 Revision?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Jan 28, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Should I wait or just buy now? I know the HD-DVD add on came out recently, but do you think they'll ever include the drive into the console?

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Depends. If your dieing to game on it, then buy it now. A revision hasn't even been confirmed yet (as far as I know). If you don't feel you need to play any particular game, I don't think it would hurt to wait, if not just to find out if a revision is going to happen or not. I do myself have a 360 and love it, if that helps :p

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

There are rumors that the next revision will have built in HD-DVD, HDMI, and the processors will be 65 instead of 95 so they wont run as hot. Microsoft denies all of this of course but its supposed to happen Q1 of this year.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If they make a revision you can guarantee it wont include the HD-DVD drive anyway. There is simply no reason for them to do so.

Besides there is an article over on ign, where they say their sources are saying the bigger HDD will be released Q3/4 07 and will replace the $100 HDD add-on, and will not be included as standard with the normal premium.

So other than 65nm technology and possibly a harder to flash dvd drive [to cut down piracy] I doubt your going to see any major change.

People expecting massive changes are going to be left sorely dissapointed i would wager.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Exactly, I don't know why people think Microsoft is going to add all the features into the system. I have no doubts they will update the processor to run cooler, all consoles have done that as technology gets better and easier to produce. I highly doubt they will ever include the HD-DVD into the system as it is not needed to play games, it is only there to play movies.

Either Microsoft will release an HDMI cable for the 360s or it will never get HDMI, they won't create a new system and leave everyone who has one now out in the cold. They have said in many interviews that the 360 can do digital out but they are waiting for the right time and for the market to be right to release the HDMI cable.

I also doubt they will bundle a bigger harddrive with the 360. I think they will just release a larger size to buy.

6. islandman macrumors 6502

A revision will be out eventually, but you can play awesome games NOW. Don't wait!

7. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Exactly - they'll be releasing an entirely new console in 2009 (and thus beginning to market in late 2008/early 2009) so they'll be focusing quite a bit of their energies on that product.

Any revision to XBOX 360 will be price/design-based, like the slim PS2.

8. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

This better happen soon because I need a reliable 360 console without having to use Nyko Intercoolers. I'm on my fifth 360. :rolleyes:

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How many of those have you run with the Nyko intercoolers ? They may be doing more damage than good. Does your 360 not have any ventilation ? Mine has plenty and has never crapped out on me since launch dec 2005

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Are you using the Nyko Intercooler yourself? Because they're actually damaging to the unit, screwing around with the PMU

11. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

so 299 for current premium and 399 for the new one??

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Those intercooler things are not good for the 360...I would suggest you get rid of it.

The xbox work much harder with those cooler things n the system.

Bless

13. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

many people dont think MS will include an HD-DVD player in whatever revision they make, but I tend to think they might. If they can use a 65nm chip, throw in a larger HD and the HD-DVD player, and still manage to charge less than Sony does for their top of the line, then they would have a ps3 competitor on every level for a lower price. that would be kinda nice.

however, that being said, and getting back to the OP, get one now. It is going to be a while before MS admits that they are working on any of these advances and even longer for them to bring it to market. imagine how long you would have waited for the slim PS2 if someone told you that it might come out, only a year after the original PS2 was released...:rolleyes:

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait. Wait with me.

Interestingly, and a little OT, but today's issue of Live had the games review section reinstated. Lost Planet was given 3/5 whereas WarioWare 5/5 :eek: I'm waiting till they get some stonker games. And looking at the upcoming lineup it'd probably be after the big revision.

15. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I use one on my 360, is this reason for concern? What exactly does it do thats harmful to the xbox?

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Well, some say that since it is using the same power supply as the 360, the 360 itself is not getting all the power it needs all the time and can freeze at random times. I don't have the intercooler so I don't much knowledge on it. My 360 works perfect so I never thought of getting one.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Having played both games, I certainly wouldnt put any merit in those reviews. :rolleyes:

On every level LP is the better game.

Jimmi the day you get a 360 is the day they invent pigs with wings ;)

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wouldn't expect any major revisions until the end of the year towards November. We will find out in May what they are planning for Q4 07.

The current 360 cannot support HDMI because of the limitations of its scaler. This is also the reason Microsoft continues to spread FUD about the unimportance of HDMI. However, there are leaked versions of the HDMI-enabled 360 on the net that Microsoft has confirmed as "real" and for "testing purposes."

There will never be an HDMI cable for any of the current 360s. Why would there be leaked photos of a new 360 if the current 360 will support HDMI with just a cable swap? Shouldn't there be leaked photos of the new cable instead?

Nope, just like the IPTV feature (due to be released later this year) will also not support current retail 360s.

I predict you will see an IPTV-enabled 360 with HDMI and at least a 100GB hard drive by the end of the year available from AT&T in select markets only.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm just waiting to be bowled over. The original Xbox did, hell the PSP did! Why isn't the 360 :(

I was even bowled over by Apple when I hated their line up! the day the G5 tower was first shown around college I melted. In that instant second I got into Apple products and saw through the myths and lies spread over time.

20. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, but Circuit City has a bundle and it's on sale this week $40 off

Xbox 360 Premium
    Gears of War
    Xbox Live Silver
    Wireless Controller
    Headset
    Play & Charge Kit

Orig. - 529.99
    Sale - 489.99
    Use the $40 off coupon from CAG = $449.99
    Which is a really great deal

Hmm I'll think about it a little bit more. I'm not dying to play any of the games, but we still play halo 2 and we recently sold the old Xbox... sooo I'm thinkin about it.

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That may explain why my 360 has frozen twice.

22. pcypert macrumors 6502

Get it now and start gaming. Plenty of incredible games out already. Any changes will be minor. I live in a country whose "cool season" goes down to maybe 80 degrees, but regularly stays around 95-105 and have not had heat issues. Just keep the thing out so it can cool itself and things are peachy.

Paul

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The only person I know who had 'heat' issues, was someone who kept his 360 sandwiched in-between a dvd player and a sky digibox, in a glass cabinet. Practically no ventilation and the heat of two other machines to contend with.

:rolleyes:

Oh and like others have said. Dont buy those 3rd party coolers, they dont help and they add to the noise. It's just not worth bothering with them.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know if it was a heat problem but my brother had to replace his 360, though it was very swift. Replaced within the hour after breaking (GameStation=gods). But none I've known have had heat problems. But they've always been on a desk, in an open place (nowhere near something else hot).

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Isn't it far too soon in the 360 lifecycle to be releasing a revision? A hard disk upgrade would be nice, but would alienate early adopters.

Incidentally, would HDMI support require a console upgrade, or could it simply be provided with a cable/adaptor from MS?