Any word on Displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Soire, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Soire macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2004
    Garden State
    With everybody "dead on certain" that the new PowerMacs will be released on the 23rd, has anybody heard about new LCD monitors? The ones out now are nice, but they're what- almost two years old? Maybe a price drop is in the future?

If anybody has recently bought a display over the phone, was a discount included?

ps- If any mac magician out there knows how to install OSX on a 500Mhz iBook please let me know. I've tried -everything-. :(
  2. PlanB macrumors member

Mar 9, 2004
    waiting my friend just patiantly waiting........

wish they would forking hurry up....

i lust for the new brushed aluminium.....come on stevie baby
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    It should be as simple as booting from the disc and running the installer...
  4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Remeber, we were all "dead on certain" that January 20 was the date, and then we were certain it would be on ther 27th, and then on MWSF...

Don't hold your breath too long. Even if the rumors are true, they will probably release the Power Macs at a different date than the displays. It draws out the press exposure even more.

Here's hoping!
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Could be soon, could be some time. There are some many hardware updates due that its just a matter of what next - oh and when?

I want my G5 PB :mad:
  6. Stolid macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Heh; after 2 years of saving and begging the family for money instead of socks and such for holiday gifts I finally got a 23" CinemaHD. I say let the LCD updates wait for a good long while or I'll be forced into saving again. :D
  7. PlanB macrumors member

Mar 9, 2004

how can you say such a vile thing :D

come on display update come to meeee

plus im getting tired of waiting :eek:
  8. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jun 6, 2003
    Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    Hey, Soire, I'm writing this from the Panther-running 500MHz iBook on my desk here at school. I didn't have any problems installing Jag, then upgraded to Panther on my trusty lil' Book - so here's the way I did it in the hopes that it works for you, too.....

step 1) buy Jag
    step 2) back up everything important
    step 3) erase/reformat/wipe clean (whatever it's called) while installing Jag
    step 4) run Jag 'til Panther comes out
    step 5) buy Panther
    step 6) archive and install Panther
    step 7) enjoy while pining for something faster (waiting for G5 powerbook!)

That's it! I think the key is to wipe everything clean while installing OSX the first time. Oh, and I've only got 320 MB SDRAM, too, so I know it works! Good luck.

9. Silencio macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    I started turning blue waiting for revised Apple displays, so I exhaled and bought a Planar PX191 instead.

Love the adjustability (raises and lowers vertically, plus tilt), multiple inputs, outstanding brightness, contrast, and refresh time. More than good enough to do color work and play games on. The thin silver bezel and matte black stand look great next to my older Apple Pro Keyboard, too. It looks like a big, bright rectangle floating elegantly in space in front of my eyes. The only downside to the thin bezel is I no longer have a good place to affix my Post-it notes to myself.

It wasn't cheap ($740 or so, unless you get it on sale from Dell -- I tried to do that myself, but their miserable customer service cancelled my order after not getting any stock for three weeks!), but I don't believe in cheaping-out on a display.

And it's soooo friggen' glorious to have my desk liberated from that huge beige box, AKA my old Sony 19" CRT. I feel like the feng shui of my office has improved a lot.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My wife has Mac OS X installed on her clam shell iBook 500. It runs like a charm. Currently running Panther. :)

I'm not really that sure that will will see new Power Mac's this month. Don't want to be disappointed. If there is then I can be pleased. Looking forward to WWDC June 28th. I want a major upgrade, so that it will be well tested by the time I'm ready to purchase.

New Cinema Display is long over due also.
  11. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    When setting up screen spanning, does it only work with screens side by side or can you "tell" the computer where they are so that the mouse travels true when you move it, like one above the other?