Any word on new NAB cameras coming to us?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by poppe, Mar 28, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of some new cameras coming out at NAB. I am thinking of getting the HVX 200 with the 35mm adapter, but if there is something new coming I'd love to wait for it. Perhaps a new HVX or something?

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I was under the impression that new cameras generally came out at the beginning of the year or a few months prior rather than at NAB. Are they announced at NAB and shipped later?

P-Worm

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Camera's have been announced at NAB, but don't usually ship til later... Wait to see what is announced, but don't hold your breath on it being shipped before September.

4. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

During the macworld keynote, steve showed a slide which showed the market of games consoles phones and mp3 players etc...... it went MP3 players, Phones, Digital Cameras then Games consoles...... Im always wrong but they used to make a digital camera and if you rememberer a keynote once ages ago steve got angry with a digital camera and threw it off the stage in a rage. So im thinking an apple digital camera one day.

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I just picked up an HVX200 and was wary about it for the exact same reason, but with the free 8gig p2 card and Barry Green book I figured I'd take the chance. Panasonic has announced a few new cameras in the last couple of months with no mention of a new HVX so it seems pretty safe.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Berry Green book?

7. axiomission macrumors member

Barry Green a frequent poster on DVXuser.com. He is also a moderator for that site. He authored an HVX tutorial book, which is mentioned by one of the posters.

8. axiomission macrumors member

I think what will be most interesting is RED digital cinema's unveiling of their new "Scarlet" camera. Supposedly much cheaper than the RED ONE but still producing amazing footage.

If you plan to get an HVX, I suggest you wait until NAB.

9. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Interesting to reply to this thread. Thanks for the information on Barry Green.

I think if the poster was to get the HVX, (s)he would have probably already done so ... LAST MARCH. lol How (or why) did you dig up this thread. :p

10. axiomission macrumors member

Wow, don't I feel stupid! For some odd reason, this thread was under the Macrumors digital video thread. I naturally assumed it was earlier this year. Oh well. Hope I said something useful lol

11. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i'd go with sony's new xdcam-ex over the hvx. i've used both, mainly for greenscreen, and prefer the sony. it's a little more money, but you get more camera. just my two cents.

***edit — oh, wow. didn't realize the thread was almost a year old.

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That's okay that it is old. Still great to see everyone responding to it. I am definitely interested in the new RED camera.

Is this the one that takes SD cards?

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Who isn't :p

14. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

True! But if I had to I would settle for that old piece of junk they came out with; that one that does 4k video :cool:

15. TheFuzz macrumors regular

not sd, SxS.

16. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh perhaps I was thinking of a new sony cam coming out soon then. My friend was at Panafest, or some event that cinematographers go to that is hosted by Panavision. Anyways, so he went there and he was raving about a new Sony cam coming out that had loadable hard drives that snapped on and off the camera like film (I think the Genesis does this?), or it could also use SD or Compact Flash cards as a medium for recording.

Perhaps I heard him wrong if this is the camera; I am not a cinematographer.