Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
I just attended my first Mac User Group meeting in Sacramento. There were over 50 people there, and every single one looked over 55 years old. Is this typical for this kind of gathering? Why is this? Where to the younger Mac fans hang out?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I just attended my first Mac User Group meeting in Sacramento. There were over 50 people there, and every single one looked over 55 years old. Is this typical for this kind of gathering? Why is this? Where to the younger Mac fans hang out?
Just remember that while us old farts may look old, we are young at heart.

...that is those of us who use Macs! :D

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Young mac users don't have forms of transportation to get to these things nor the money to go to these things. Its like trying to find college students at macworld, it doesnt happen, they have school.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Because to most young people, these types of things are pretty lame. :eek:

But once we're too old to know what's cool and what's not anymore, we'll think that going to something like this is cool.

925AS

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
We are out there. We just don't go to meetings, we try to find our answers here on MacRumors or other websites

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
The meeting was of the MacNexus group in sacramento. It has been around since the early 80s. I'm not meaning to slam these old folks. It just made me feel like Mac users might be becoming a dying breed. I'm hopeful that the quality of the Mac products will draw more of the younger crowd over time. I'm not sure I agree that attending meetings like this is such an old-fashioned thing to do, since there was a lot of useful information that was shared. After all, us Mac users have more time to go out and socialize as we spend less time at home trying to fix computer crashes. :apple:

ruZZ.il

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Israel
After all, us Mac users have more time to go out and socialize as we spend less time at home trying to fix computer crashes. :apple:
but I waste more time on my mac cause its a pleasure to do anything on it, even nothing :p anyway.. I'm too far to go to mac meetings in Sacramento.. and too busy with exams. but I don't think young mac users are a dying breed.. my buddies and I are all recent switchers.. and we're spreading I tell you... I see it in ppls eyes.. that glimmer (reflection) of my mmm MBP. :)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
the young mac users are in their rooms doing 2 ****ing weeks of material science homework. And ocasionally checking Macrumors ;)

At least that's where this one is.

Us young-at-heart Mac users are at work, doing materials science research. And checking Macrumors also. See, grown-ups aren't so different.

;)

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Wasn't there an article posted recently about how most Mac users are at least middle aged?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Im almost 15 (Tomorrow) I started using macs when i was 13 and computers a while back. I attend my local mac user group eevery month, There are two others my age present (Two of my school friends) an 18 year old friend of mine and than a lot of adults (Mainly 50+)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I've been a full-time Mac user since I turned 13 August 5, 2005. Some might remember that post I made. I was so damned excited I didn't go to bed until like 3:00-4:00 a.m.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Here I am born yesterday.

first got on the mac scene when I was ten.

so you don't have a mac yet.... you will after 10 yrs or so?

well. how young is young? i consider myself quite young:p

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've always been a Mac user (My parents had an Apple ][e before I was born) and I'm typing this on my MBP, I'm almost 17. I live nowhere near Sacremento (It's over a 4 hour drive) and I couldn't attend a meeting even if it was local because I can't drive by myself yet.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I'm 17. I've used Mac's in my home since I was 5... Hands on use since... I was old enough to use a mouse I suppose. :cool:

...And now, years later, I have six (four see daily use) Mac's in my home, various iPods, and more Apple "junk" than I can inventory!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
that's what it's like at the HAAUG. It's also why I don't go.
While, yes, it's fun to talk Mac with people, I'd relate much better to people my age.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.