Anybody already using NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 66217, Jul 1, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

I'm downloading it (quite large: 113mb)...just curios about any comments about this program.

I'm new to Mac, and I decided to buy iWork when the trial use ends, but don't want to spend money in the MS Office for Mac. But I have a doubt, which do you consider best: Openoffice or Neooffice? Or are there any other freeware that are better than these ones?

Thanks,

Roco

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

NeoOffice is ok..at the price, it's great of course. My main gripe is a shallow one: it's visual appeal. However, soon they will be spending time improving how it looks (just do a Wiki search and you will see screenshots of what they intend to do) to make it more Mac-esque.

I've never used it for more than basic word processing, no graphs etc added in.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

NeoOffice is better than OpenOffice as OpenOffice requires X11 and runs like a UNIX program would it uses UNIX shortcuts (Control-C for copy etc. etc.) too, and is pretty difficult to get to use your OS X fonts.

Excel is still the king of graphs (over OpenOffice) but Pages seems to produce better graphs than either from my brief testing.

4. skillz1318 macrumors regular

i like neooffice runs much better than open office on my mbp since its runs without x11

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've downloaded and installed it on my MacBook. Haven't given it a good try yet, but it felt really snappy when I poked a bit around... :)

I'm looking forward to the final release... I might never install Microsoft Office on any Mac again... ever... :cool:

6. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I have NeoOffice 2.0 on both my G5 iMac and Intel iMac. Runs great on both, probably better on the Intel iMac. It sucks that it has to use Java. But until OpenOffice figures out how to port over to Mac without X11, I have to use NeoOffice