Anybody applied to UK universities this year?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 4nr-, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

I sent off my application about week ago. Applied to LSE, UCL, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Royal Holloway. All for international relations, except Royal Holloway where I applied for Politics and International Relations and UCL, where I applied for European Social and Political Studies.

I am predicted 35 (HL:6666, SL: 65) IB points, excluding the 3 possible "extra points" from TOK and the EE.

I don't think there are many of you, if not none; but if you applied, post your choices, and predicted grades if you so wish to.

2. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

Hi i applied for War Studies and have offers from ;
    Reading
    Kent (Canterbury)
    coventry
    westminster

interview at Swansea

and because of my idleness Kings rejected me, i wish i had actually put in the hours and i would be looking at going to kings, oh well :rolleyes:

3. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

Cool that you got so many offers already. I was thinking about war studies at kings for a while, too. Sucks you didn't get an offer. You can always take a gap year and apply again next year?

4. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

yeh i am thinking about doing a post grad after i get my initial degree pos in something like industrial design [me eyeing johnathan ives job lol] or photography (something more mac based :p ] but really the desision for me is between reading kent and swansea. kings is the best course of the lot but although i have the capability i was never pushed in my primary school so never had to try to get good marks so i am just lazy now when i do actually need to work. useless primary school, i mean i really should be revising for my psychology exam on tues. bugger.

edit: i applied in oct/nov i think, but i dont know how it works with ib cause i am doing a levels

5. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

I know what you mean, never felt pushed either. Have the academic and intellectual potential, but never really worked for excellence. Still my teachers were kind enough to take my potential into consideration more than anything else when they predicted my grades. Everything depends on the final exams when you do IB and now I'm actually trying, 3 months away from the exams.

6. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

yeh, i fell into a habit of lazyness, but was jolted out by some very bad AS grades, i retook my whole history AS course about a week ago and in my second year have been keeping up to date and ontop of work. still too late to get the grades im capable of, doesnt help that when a teacher bollocks me i just go 'right f u im not doing any work now' - in my head, not actually to them. dunno why but im not good when people try to batter me into working, im much better just being left to it. just looked at the kings course for war studies and thats 35 ib points so u should be fine if you get ur predicted grades, least u got the offers so if ur just off u can beg lol

7. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

I know what you're talking about. I'm lucky to be able to benefit from British academic prestige with a Swedish laid back attitude. Here, teachers want to help you out as much as possible and understand that everybody doesn't feel the same motivation for academics as others do, especially not when you're being forced. Of course we're required to do homework, no actually, we're not; we're more suggested to do our homework. Teachers make sure that we know it's only for our better, and if we fail to do what they insist us on doing, it's our own loss. I know it's probably hard to understand this kind of attitude towards academia, but it works better than anything else I have experienced (Catholic school, private international school). We're actually treated as people and not just tools that are expected to work their ass off just so we can fulfill our expected contribution the economy.

8. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

i have much the same experience www.rydeschool.org.uk, its more a feeling of dissapointment if you dont do the work because with a class of no larger than 8 in any of my subjects you know that if you do not do the work then you will not get the grades and since you build up a rapport with the teachers you feel you have let them down, its more this that makes me do the homework (and the fact that i want uni) if it isnt done then i just get a zero but i like my teachers and we have a laugh and they care enough to give a toss about me and make the subject interesting and give additional knowledge on the side it makes you want to work too. I think were pretty similar on the face of it.

9. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Applied to Kent (Canterbury) and Oxford for my MSc in Computer Science. Got into both =) Haven't sent off apps to Imperial College yet, but I'm looking pretty strongly at Oxford, mostly for the whole experience.

10. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

Congratulations!

11. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Thanks. Out of curiosity, I noticed you are in Sweden doing IBs and are applying to schools in the UK. Are you American/British?

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

13. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Personally I think either a) Oxford wants my money (because I have to pay overseas rates as a non-EU citizen) or b) I duped them into thinking I was smart. Hopefully I make good on either expectation next year, heh.

14. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

good luck :)

15. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

No, I'm Belgian, moved to Sweden for my dads job. Volvo Cars.

16. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Ah. Well that would explain your excellent English, too ;)

Why the UK for uni, then?

17. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

There's many reasons to that. The primary reason is that I want an education in English. Besides that, I'll just feel more at home in an international environment, and I believe that those unis I've applied to have an extremely international student body.