Anybody considering buying a mini as a web/mail server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by debo, Jan 14, 2005.

1. debo macrumors regular

I started looking at the prices of old powermacs and cubes and whatnot and realized that you could get this new computer for only a couple hundred more? Anybody else thinking of this?

2. Santiago macrumors regular

The thought did cross my mind, especially since the old Beige G3 I use as a server has been suffering unusual freezes with alarming regularity of late. The lack of gigabit ethernet on the Mini is a minor annoyance, though. I'm really more hoping it'll cause the price of old PowerMacs to drop by a good chunk.

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Would be nice, since I have the bandwidth to spare. :)

5. mim macrumors 6502

This shouldn't really be a problem if you're connected to a DSL line, and are serving to 100 odd people or less.

I currently use an old G3 iMac snow for this. The G4 in the macmini is overkill for email and web serving, but the price is cheaper than what I paid for the iMac >secondhand!<. The advantage the iMac and the MacMini have over the powermac's is silence. Some of the powermac are really loud. You wouldn't want to leave one running 24/7 in your house, unless it's a big house and you've put it in the garden shed.

6. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i think its good if you want a mac web server, other the other hand you could also fold on it! :D you can never have to many cpu cycles to fold!

7. debo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know it's overkill but like you said, I started looking at prices and this thing is almost as cheap as the old Macs.

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

yep! I just ordered one for very similar needs.

9. 3Memos macrumors 6502

How safe is it to run the mini as a server with what is essentially a laptop drive?

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Considering its not a public server, the demand on the HDD is not much.

How many process are you planing for this Home Server. :)

Music, Movies, Email, Storage.

11. panphage macrumors 6502

External FW enclosure w/10k rpm sata drive inside. :D

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There was a post on MacBytes that gave some insight as to the "power" behind the Mac mini. It may become a server for the home. I am already seeing some possibilities.

13. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

for those of you running servers at your home, does your isp tell you that you can't use a server.

my isp sent me a nice email when i was, although i was "sharing" lots of data.

i've always wondered if I can start one again for just low-load web/email but I figure that the isp can see when people are sending request to my server.

14. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yeah, I'm currently running a Linux-based Web/mail server on an x86 box that I had hanging around, but used to run it via OS X server on an old B/W G3.

The mini makes a lot of sense as a small server, and I'm seriously planning to do just that (probably x2 in the long term . :p )

15. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Depends on the ISP. I have a fairly inexpensive business account with a static IP (it costs about 30% more than the standard home account from the same company) - I figured it was worth paying the extra as:
    1. I DO use it for work
    2. Servers are specifically permitted by the terms of my contract with them.

Some ISP's don't like you running servers at all, and can in theory make a fuss if they catch you doing it...

16. Uma888 macrumors 6502

is it then possible to "cluster" a group of mini macs? :rolleyes: does osx support "clustering" or would we need to invest in mac os x server edition? :confused:

17. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Not me... That's what our super-fast kick-ass gaming PC is doing in the corner, covered with books and magazines... Thing's getting what it deserves :p

18. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yeah, should be doable with X-Grid. Alternatively there are several other clustering options available - either under OS X via third-party software (Cluster 3.0 runs on OS X now and is open source - there are a couple of commercial alternatives, too), or possibly via Linux.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Now there would be a waste, on a FireWire 400 bus

20. DVW86 macrumors member

I am currently using a G3 iMac as the family web server (PHP, MySQL, FTP...) and as my kids school computer. The ISP I'm with will allow me to have a web/mail/file server at no additional charge as long as it's for personal use. If the iMac quits in the near future a Mini will be taking it's place.

21. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

What do you mean by a "web/mail server"? how does it work?

I have no idea.

22. panphage macrumors 6502

23. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Um - a machine that runs web (i.e. Apache) and mail (POP/IMAP/SMTP - and, in my case, webmail) servers.

Not really sure what you're asking, to be honest.

24. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

25. DougJrS macrumors regular

I have basically the same question. I get the web server part but I don't really understand the email part. Can you register a domain name and use a service like dyndns and then setup a mail server? So when all done if I go to MyMacIsBetterThanYourPC.com :D I get my mac and if I send email to doug@MyMacIsBetterThanYourPC.com that goes to my mac?

This sounds really cool! Can you do IMAP or r u stuck with POP3?

Doug