Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herbit

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
+1

I got the iPad 1 on release. I've bought the iPad 3rd gen at release. It was a impressive device, especially the Retina display. But I got a yellow tint on the display and sent it back. I then decided for the next gen. I'm not impressed with the update. Probably wait for the iPad 5th gen.

iPad 1 is sometimes it's very slow, but most apps that I depend on still run (well, besides iPhoto). I think next year most new apps will not support iOS 5 any more. Then it will be finally time to upgrade. Hopefully the 5th gen will get lighter and a smaller bezel.

On a site note: I'm using the iPad 1 daily since launch and the battery is still amazing. I get easily 8 hours on Wifi.

anemone

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
I loved reading this thread!

I bought an iPad 1+ 3g within a month of its release. I'm not an early adopter type, but jumped on it because FINALLY there was a device that could give me both smartphone and laptop functionality and portable internet in a small package with a reasonably priced data plan. This was huge since I wouldn't use a laptop enough to justify buying one, and I'm one of the few people left on earth w/o a smartphone because I almost never use a cell phone (avg about 5-10 min/month) and can't justify an expensive 2 year smartphone contract.

I love my iPad, I carry it everywhere, I use it daily for at least a few hours, sometimes much more. I am not the type of person who upgrades every time a new version comes out. I'm still using a 5.5 year old iMac.

HOWEVER, I am finally going to upgrade to a 4th gen iPad. I can't take the crashes any more. My ipad 1 seems to crash more and more often the past month or two, and I use a lot of art/drawing/photography apps that require a lot of RAM, so some are practically unusable now. Safari crashes quickly on any Javascript-laden site, and pages are slow to load. iOS 6, camera, Siri, and LTE are also big reasons for me to upgrade. I was considering a 3 a few months ago, but am now glad I didn't since the 4 is out and likely to be a lot more future proof. I would have seriously considered a mini if it had retina, but my 45 year old eyes need retina, and creating iPad art is much nicer on a larger screen anyway.

My iPad 1 will still serve as our treadmill iPad (still works great for streaming music and video) and occasionally as an e-reader for my husband. Eventually it probably will be boxed up with my old Sony Walkman and will sit there until I am a grandma and decide to show my grandkids what the very first iPad looked like :).

MickeyVee

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Pretty much got my iPad 1 on launch day and never looked back. My main use is consumption, i.e. books, videos, magazines and surfing while I travel to work on the train. Still does well and still is an awesome device.
Now that the iPad Mini is here, I'm going to get one and pass on the iPad 1 to my wife.

WasBeen

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
UK, near London
Posting this from my iPad 1 now. Still struggle to find a good enough reason to spend money on a new one, it still does a great job..... But really want a mini.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
still going strong in the bathroom lol Ipad 64gb AT&T.

We are going to use it for home automation and music center as a control module.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I still have my iPad 1 and I'm still using it daily. It is still fine for most things I do everyday. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. I bought it when it first came out, the first day!

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I like my iPad 1

Well, it was supposed to be my husband's, since it was given to him as a thank you, but he never uses it.

Yes, safari crashes here and there, and I'm still trying to get rid of the 4.5G "other" when I have nothing big on the iPad, but it works fine overall. And I'm seriously considering an iPad mini. I have small hands and the mini will fit in my purse. Hubby got an otterbox defender case on the iPad 1 and it is HUGE.

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!

Dumped mine for 100 dollars on gazelle because you can't upgrade to ios6 and this prevents you from running any new or upgrading existing apps. Plus it is a dog compared to my mini.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Got my iPad 1 64 GB 3G when they first arrived here in June 2010. I did get a bit tired of it being slow so bought a nexus 7 a couple months ago.

Now the novelty has worn off of the nexus I find myself back to using my iPad 1. I'm also sort of thinking it does everything I need so perhaps I can squeeze another year out of it and sell the Nexus.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I have had my ipad1 since may 2010, and it has never disappointed. I don't find it slow at all, but i mostly use it for pdf reading, wolfram math apps and video viewing. Battery life is still excellent. I keep waiting to update because although i find the ipad incredibly useful, it is ugly and heavy-ish. I am very impressed with the mini, but it seems like it will undergo an imminent update so i will hold for a few more months.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think I'm going to keep my iPad 1 until it literally is unusable.

Going to invest in a MBA because even thought the iPad is good, it sucks at productivity. Multitasking is not that great and its UI is basically a giant iPhone. I wish it had more OS X features. Also if Apple made the 32GB start at $499 and gave the 16GB to just the iPad mini, I would get it fast. Just seems with all these huge apps with retina that 16GB is too small. Maybe in the future.

I'm just surprised that the battery is still amazing.

22hand

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2009
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!

I have a iPad still in good condition. Though cant upgrade to latest iOS I find it still pretty useful for my home entertainment like iTunes or air video. I have a iPad mini bought because of the size, and I am actually posting this with the mini, first few hours of experience sounds pretty ok, and i also use Flipboard extensively here too (cf iPad 1 Flipboard).

----------

Got my iPad 1 64 GB 3G when they first arrived here in June 2010. I did get a bit tired of it being slow so bought a nexus 7 a couple months ago.

Now the novelty has worn off of the nexus I find myself back to using my iPad 1. I'm also sort of thinking it does everything I need so perhaps I can squeeze another year out of it and sell the Nexus.

I believe the apps/quality and choice of apps do matter, I've also had a kindle fire turned into jellybean tablet, however most of the time it sit idle there in living room, which no one care to pick it up. On the otherhand iPad 1 still got lots of attention including my kid choose to have minecraft installed there :)

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I had a first gen ipad up until the 3rd gen came out. I was really hoping for a mini back then, but I but the bullet and got the 3rd gen.
If I still had it, I'd think I'd also hold out for a retina mini. That's gonna fly off shelves!

Mark0824

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I just sold my original iPad 1 16 Gbwifi only for 250. I had it since release. I bought an iPad 3 a few months ago and my original iPad was being used by my wife and kids. Worked very well but there were some occasions with new apps where it was a bit slow or crashed.

I purchased an iPad 2 32gb for the family's to use. Got a good deal at 350 with two cases and extra cables. I really just a need more memory for the kids movies, tv shows and the wife's magazines.

Ill probably sell the 2 when the iPad 6 comes out in 2 years or so and give my 3 to the family.

They can as really last years if treated well.

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
The original 16gb wifi ipad is shared between my wife and I. The thing is virtually brand new cosmetically, not even a single scratch or nick.

The usage is strictly web with occasional games. We never used the mail app nor music on the iPad. For this reason we are staying with this original ipad until the occasional safari crashes become too annoying.

When it comes time to replace I can't see why the mini would be attractive. The phone is perfect for single handed usage. The larger size of the iPad is better for how we use it.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Typing this on my iPad 1. Would love a mini, but I'm gonna wait until the next one and it will hopefully have more RAM. If not I'll get an iPad 5.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I have an iPad 1 3G that I purchased on the 1st day the 3G devices were on sale (May 7, 2010 I think).

It's been 2 1/2 years, and I still love my iPad 1. I use it every day for like 6 hours a day. The battery is still amazing, and lasts 6-8 hours.

The only thing that makes me think about upgrading right now is the annoyance with applications crashing. I have to make sure I'm only running 1 app at a time. If I'm reading a book, then want to surf the web, I can do it, but most likely when I reach an intensive javascript website, safari will crash / kick me out. I'm now used to what apps take up the most memory, and kill them when I'm finished with them.

But I'm holding off until the iPad 5. The one thing I'm concerned about is the charging time of the iPad 4. It takes a lot longer than my iPad. I expect this issue to be dealt with on the iPad 5.

iOS 6 won't run on my original iPad either. No problem yet, as all the apps I want to run still run in iOS 5. However, I expect in a year's time that there will be more exclusive iOS 6 apps, and I will take the plunge to an iPad 5 at that time.

The $700 savings for waiting another year outweighs all the iPad 4 / iOS 6 advantages to me. There are a lot of advantages, but I have a perfectly fine iPad except for the app crashes right now.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I was one of the first to buy an ipad first gen. Got it with the unlimited AT&T data plan that I still have. Even tho it didn't have a camera, I never upgraded it to the 2, the retina 3 or 4. I still love it.

However....I finally did upgrade when the ipad mini came out. I travel a lot, and prefer the smaller form factor. So I transferred my unlimited data plan to the mini and now I use it everywhere I go.

Sometimes at home, I still use the regular ipad for the bigger screen....but to be honest, I may end up giving it to my brother.

If the mini had not come out, I probably wouldn't have upgraded until I absolutely had to. The ipad first gen still runs all the apps I use. But as time goes on, more and more apps do not run on it....so eventually it might be an issue for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.