Anybody else frustrated with Apple's current laptop lineup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macjay, Jan 28, 2007.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

Anybody else frustrated with Apple's laptop lineup? I'd like to replace my iBook but none of the current offerings appeal to me. This is frustrating. I like a compact laptop -- working with a small screen -- and the MacBook just doesn't do it for me (not a fan of the keyboard).

When I look at Sony, I see them offering laptops of every size. I even saw some nice-looking Fujitsu computers today. Wish I could use another brand, but I'm an OSX user. So I'm "stuck" with my iBook right now.

Anybody else frustrated in the same way?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yup I'm frustrated that they don't make a 12 MB or an MBP. I still love my PPC 12 PB which I'm still loving *hugs PB*

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

The keyboard on the macbook is not that bad. It is weird at first but it grows on you and you'll find that it is much easier to type on after you have used it a bit. At least that is what happened to me.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, I agree with this. Actually, it was more a case of "oh, the keyboard's different" when I opened the box and "the keyboard is better" after using it.
    That said, yes, I do wish there was an option for a 13" MB. I think I still prefer aluminium:D .

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's only frustrating me because I don't have one.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That what I like the most...

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

My problem is the freaking GLOSSY Screen. 15 inch is just way to big for me. 9-13 is in my preferred range. I'd have no problem getting a MacBook if it was not for the GLOSSY screen.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My problem is trying to take a clear picture of my Magsafe catching on fire. :D :apple:

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'd need glasses to see the screens of these tiny little hypothetical laptops so many here seem to pine for.

10. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

The glossy screen is optional. So I suppose you have no problem then.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i would've preferred a 14" MBP instead of the 15" but i am happy with my purchase (especially since a 14" Pro notebook never existed in the PB line).

i think Apple is missing the smaller MBP but the rumors seem to indicate that it is coming.

i don't much care for the MB keyboard but it all boils down to personal preference.

12. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I like the MB keyboard better than its predecessor, a Toshiba Satellite PC laptop. The letters on the keys even started coming off, which is what happens I guess when you post on message boards too much.

13. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

not on the Macbook

14. Fender macrumors regular

Fender

I just bought a brand new MacBook C2D 2.0GHz, and I previously had a Core Duo 1.83 GHz. I love these damn MacBooks. They've even overtaken my Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz as my favourite computer.

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Like others said the Macbook's keyboard isn't that bad, it takes a couple days to get used to them but once you are good you are all set.

This is spoken as someone who owns a MBP and used a MB briefly, I thought I'd hate the keyboard but end up I don't.... and I even wrote code on my Macbook.

The only other thing that really pisses me off is the craptacular screens Apple insists on using for their laptops. It is simply a disgrace.

16. likeavaliant macrumors regular

is an extra inch on a macbook that big of a problem?

whiners.

17. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

speaking as a macbook owner and former owner of 3 ibooks, the macbook keyboard is worlds better than the ibook keyboard. If that's what's holding you back then you really need to give the macbook and its keyboard another look.

Ditto the glossy screen. It's not a "high gloss" like on a lot of PC laptops and is quite great to look at actually. It's so much nicer than the dull, washed out screens on ANY pre-intel mac laptop that once you have a macbook, you'll be amazed you ever used an ibook.

19. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm spoiled by the finish on my early "translucent" iBook G3. This was the version before the "opaque" iBook which became more plasticy. My iBook has a satin aluminum trackpad, similar to the MBP; the later iBooks, and now the Macbooks, have a plastic trackpad. The keyboard on my early iBook is also very good.

20. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yeah, I'm on an iBook and feel for you. The whole reason why I intentionally got the iBook (even as I knew the macbook was coming out any day), is because of size - I didn't trust that Apple would come out with anything this small soon. To me the main selling point of iBook is size - it's perfect. Smaller would be too small from the point of view of the screen... I wouldn't mind thinner, and I certainly would welcome lighter, but not a smaller screen than 12".

Thing is, if you need to carry your 'book around, every inch and every ounce count. I just find the MB unwieldy - actually kind of an uncomfortable size. The iBook seems much more proportional and aesthetically pleasing. My objection to the 12" PB was that it seemed too fragile. My iBook in it's hard case seems bulletproof... for something that I use on the go, this is important.

As to keyboard, I've tried the MB and agree - it's better than the iBook. My iBook keyboard is kind of lame... springy, spongy, key edges are sharp and are often getting caught on fingertips, sleeve of the sweater and so on. Not great. And the screen is the weakest thing on this thing - so dim. If there's one think I really wish the iBook had is a better, brighter screen.

Also, I think the MB runs a lot hotter than the iBook - another point against the original 12" PB which I'd otherwise consider. I hate the frying heat on your hands/lap, the damn fans coming on etc. - all that I associate with the 12" PB and now all intel macs, including the MB. By contrast my iBook is cool as a cucumber most of the time - even when it's doing intense video encoding for 48 hours straight!

I so much don't like the new MB and generally intel laptops, that I've just poured $345 into my iBook to get a 120GB hard drive... rather than upgrade to a new MB, I prefer to stay with the iBook and extend it's power as much as I can - I love this form factor, I love the coolness, the long battery life, the excellent WI-FI reception etc.

So am I disappointed in the intel laptops from Apple - YES. Hot, buggy, crashy, and don't run a lot of PPC software that I have.

I'll eventually buy another Apple laptop, but it'll be probably in a year or two, after they solve or at least lessen the heat problems. And maybe we'll get lucky with a nice form factor.

Meanwhile talking about product range - where's Apple's sub-Mac Pro? I'd love something that's mid-range between the mini and the pro, but without laptop components and a forced monitor like the iMac, and something that doesn't cost much more than around $1000. But that's another topic.

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I doubt you ever owned a 12" apple laptop. The "inch" is more like two when the size of the bezel is considered.

I've just replaced my two 12" powerbooks with a macbook. The size difference is noticable.

I'd love a 12" mbp.

My MB (Rev B, black) is extremely quiet, bug free, and most importantly very very cool to the touch.

I guess people's experiences vary.

22. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Actually I think 13.3" is a very very nice size.

As insane as it sounds a small Macbook Pro with a high rez screen is actually kinda nice if not for the fact that Apple insists my eye sight is not as good as it really is. Nevermind the fact that said eyes are actually in my eye sockets and not Steve's.

23. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Really, could you link me to the store that sells matte MacBooks.

24. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I completely agree. I have two 12" iBooks and one Macbook. People who say that the Macbook isn't much bigger than the iBook, haven't seen an iBook sitting on top of a Macbook. It's a pretty large size difference.

I carry my notebook with me everyday. I love my iBooks, but the major increase in power is worth the size increase of the Macbook, which goes with me everywhere.