Anybody else getting this email?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dane D., Dec 7, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

For the past week or so I have been receiving email from sources I have never emailed. It has an attachment called DELETEDO.TXT. A virus? I just delete them after marking them as junk in Thunderbird. Am I alone with this or are others getting this too.

2. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I am sure its a virus, bug, worm, or someone trying to get your info... The thing about this, is the often have man .TXT, .DOC, .APP, .SIT, .EXE, etc and on each they changes the name when the send to people on mass e-mail lists. But, I know these often don't work with Macs, only PC's.:D

3. belvdr macrumors 601

I don't think that can be any more confusing.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Uhuh. Plz piss off and die.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't got DELETDO.TXT but I've been getting more and more emails from nobody (apparently), addressed to nobody, and with nothing in them. :confused:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

<evil laugh>

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And there's these ones:

Which I guess is an attempt to bypass your junk filters but I find the occasional one quite thought-provoking — poignantly surreal blank verse.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

DELETED0.TXT is what the Norton mail server scanner will put in place of virus-laden attachments it finds. IIRC there was a worm that used that name too in an attempt to fool those servers.

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I guess I should consider myself fortunate in that I receive mail so infrequently ... only a few names listed in the filters are those of people I know and trust.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To answer your question; no I haven't gotten that email.

Then I have a question of my own...

I have gmail, and I've gotten 2 emails from "security@gmail.com" saying "for security reasons" I must follow this link within 24 hours otherwise my account will be suspended. I clicked the link, but then just got garbled text; then I tried it in Firefox (I was in Safari before) and firefox asked me if I wanted to download a file (I hit no).

Anybody else get an email like this?

12. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I don't think viruses can be carried in .txt or .rtf . They can in .doc because microsoft will execute code for you, even if you don't ask it to.

People, when you get an email from Google, eBay, Yahoo, or whatever, look at the link properties (hovering the mouse over the link and look at the status bar, or right-click). If it doesn't say "yahoo.com" or "https://ebay.com" in there, it's probably not real. Also, don't even bother using the link to get to those sites. You can get there just as easily by typing the site in the address bar.

13. Lau Guest

I had one in Japanese the other day. Babel fish translated it into English, but sadly into a list of seemingly unconnected words, so I have no idea whether it was the most important email in the world, or spam.

I went with the latter. :p

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

In my school account I got one from the FBI. It said that I had accessed 30 illegal websites, etc. My Book Arts teacher received one from the CIA.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What hae you two been doing? :eek: