Anybody else think Wii could have been TV

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Jan 10, 2007.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

With a nice software update?

I mean, we Wii user already have pretty much all the hardware necessary:

- Wifi [streaming movies/music]
    - Wii remote [more capable then the Apple remote]
    - USB [something even TV doesn't have]
    - Storage could be much higher than that of TV
    And even some things TV doesn't have:
    - Bluetooth
    - SD card slot
    - USB [as mentioned earlier]
    - Games etc.
    - Sub-$300 price point

Wii is a pretty capable system, if Nintendo were to release a really nice update [Actually, I'd be willing to pay $$ for it if their UI is good]. I'm basically asking for capabilities that Xbox360 users already have.

Anybody agree?

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

That would be a awesome idea. If someone came out with a hack, or even better, if Nintendo did release something, that would just be really cool. :D

3. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

errr. actually the ?TV does have USB. it hasn't been announced whether it will accept mass storage devices but it is there and it has been mentioned that it will be used for updating the device.

the wii is certainly capable but lacks the HD facilities that apple are pushing with the ?TV. it is also unlikely that nintendo will support it as their focus is on accessible gameplay.

4. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I agree, and even posted on this earlier (can't look it up right now). I'd like to see Apple and Nintendo enter into a kind of partnership so that both systems (the Wii and the Apple TV box) could benefit from each other's technology.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It could still happen too.

The Wii has the whole software download thing (check the shop). they could easily stick up an application there. for a price of course. component output, little FW upgrade to get that app (and only that app) allowing for higher resolutions...

USB external HDD to make up for the 512mb internal. job's a good un!
    Suppose it would need 802n.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

meh, we just need to wait for an XBMC to come out for the Wii. And with the 360 being harder to hack and the PS3 already runs Linux (and has fewer sales) we might see one this year.

7. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Forgive the ignorance, but with Connect360, is there much need to hack the 360?

Running that with my 360 has already solved my needs for an aTV. However, I'm probably the in the minority of folks who just want music, photo slideshows, and HD video.

As far as the Wii goes - it would be a cool alternative to the aTV if it were set up to be, because the aTV focuses on widescreen, HDTV sets. The Wii could be the aTV for everyone else, right?

Not to mention a great games console - bonus.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hacking is free versus paid, plus you get the "thrill of hacking".
    Connect to LAN, no need for applications.
    Dump or store files on HDD.
    Compatibility with more formats and codecs.
    Expanded interface.

So yes, there is much need.
    XBMC2. WMC.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm really hoping this will happen and its got every chance hackers will manage it. There's a lot more interest in getting Linux working on the Wii than there was the Gamecube. Its already got wireless, USB, Flash Memory, a DVD drive, Bluetooth etc and its cheap. Its also proving to be one of the most popular if not the most popular gaming device ever. All of this adds to the chances of a Wii Linux distro on which a media centre type app could (would) be built.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I hope Nintendo releases some sort of media kit.

Imagine an external hard drive + TV tuner that the Wii sits on top of and plugs in via USB, turning it into a full DVR/media streamer.

Yeah, it'll never happen.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Not from Nintendo, but hopefully those Linux geeks will finally prove useful ;)