Anybody from Chicago?

Discussion in 'Community' started by 000111one111000, Jan 15, 2003.

1. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Just wondering how many people on here are from Chicago.

And for those of you that ARE from Chicago, how many of you listen to Rasputina and are going to the concert on the 5th of February?

enoch

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Finally!!! A thread for Chicagoans!!!

I am from Chicago. However I've never heard of Rasputina. Is it Indie rock? Where is she playing in Chicago? The Metro? The Vic? It can't be a bigger venue than that.

Taft

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i aspire to be a chicagoian....

hehe, actually, i will be moving to chicago sometime after may.

hopefully to somewhere nice in wriglyville.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

"somewhere nice in wriglyville"

Umm. What's your definition of 'nice'? :D

Be aware, like in Wicker Park / Bucktown (where the Real World 2001 was shot), people tend to use car horns for doorbells, and pee in the street in Wrigleyville - though more often than most would like, there may be puddles of last nights "technicolor yawns" to avoid in the morning as well.

Oh, and Parking? Forget it.

Ok. You're right, I'm slamming. ;)

The tone may be negative, but at least the facts are true.

I've lived in and about Chi-Town for 23 years or so - even know a damn good Car Doctor ("Auto Mechanic" way understates him). What kind of pad in what kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

5. 000111one111000 thread starter macrumors regular

Rasputina

They're a groupe of 3 chicks who play the cello, and occasionally hook up a distortion pedal to em. hehe :)

it's great stuff though.

And yes, they'll be at the Metro on February 5th at 9 pm. Tickets are 12 dollars. hehe.

Rasputina's Website

enoch

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i want to live in/near the city.

pay between $800 and $1200

don't really want a high rise.

park my car.

have high speed 'net.

north to nw of downtown

7. Groovsonic macrumors regular

I don't live "in" chicago. I live in the western suburbs. I feel really bad, because I live 14 miles from this awesome city, and I almost never go into it. I guess it is unfamiliarity, but I just wouldn't know where to go or what to do (that and I cant parallel park to save the life of a baby seal). As for rasputina, I find their droning music to be grating, boring, and miserable at the same time (a difficult trifecta), but don't let that dissuade you, becuase I have pretty strange taste in music.

How is the apple store downtown? Has anyone been there? I live right near oakbrook mall, but that apple store is pretty small. The one at woodfield is much bigger. I was at the one in oakbrook the other day, and the power went out. If I wasn't a better human being, I could have been the proud owner of a free 20gig iPod, and no one would have known.

anyway.... Sorry to ramble!

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

?????

i don't think there is one.

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

There isn't....yet. Its supposed to go into an old Gap location on the Magnificent Mile (North Michigan Ave.). I've been waiting and waiting for it to open since the rumors first floated around about a year back.

Its hard for me to get up to the Suburb Apple store locations since I don't have a car. :(

Taft

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Apple Stores in and about Chicago

-I've been to both Open stores in the Chicagoland Area and you're right. There are different sizes - makes sense in retail.

Actually, by my estimation, there are three types.

1) Small: The Boutique - Oakbrook is one.
    2) Medium: Standard Apple Store - Woodfield.
    3) Flagship, e.g. multiple floors: Michigan Avenue Store.

You're correct in that there is no Michigan Avenue Store yet. I've been watching the site for some time. There used to be a Gap there, then about two years ago, a teensy little Apple logo decal showed up on the glass of the front door (front door is actually a corner-diagonal-type). Then nothing. Other stores opened, LA, SOHO, and all the other famous ones. But no news on the Mag-Mile store.

Suddenly, at around the end of November - perhaps not coincidentally timed with the reopening of Wacker Drive - the building was leveled. Gone save for a few concrete structural members. And one of those sidewalk-pedestrian-protecting plywood awnings showed up. With a Big Apple logo on it.

So tune in for April/May for this country's next Flagship Apple Store.

Check ThinkSecret: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/chicagostore.html

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

This is a small price to pay for living in a great neighborhood. I live in the Lakeview area (Diversey and Broadway) and I love it. Its got the same problems that Wrigleyville, but they are both fun neighborhoods and great places to live.

As a side-note, I'd recommend ditching your car if you don't need it for work or something else. Unless you want to pay for a garage (which can be horribly expensive), parking is an absolute nightmare. I got rid of my car when I moved to the city and I haven't looked back. I never need my car in the city (cabs and the trains get me where I need to go) and I rent when I want to go out of town. It ends up costing me far less than a car would.

Taft

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Apple Stores in and about Chicago

I was surprised they leveled that building to build an all new Apple Store. The old building was in pretty good shape and was a very nice looking building. I haven't seen the location since mid-December and never saw the Apple logo. I'll be near there (Northwestern medical center) tomorrow so I'll have to check it out.

Taft

13. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i agree with you. i WANT to expierence the CITY for a few years. I will hopefully be going to Loyola, DePaul, U. Chicago for some grad work... So I NEED to be close to their campus.

Unforutnately, I also NEED a car. I can't afford to fly home to Iowa a few times a year, or down to my fraternity in central il. I can't afford to pay cabs all the time. This may mean i am further out in the 'burbs.... but i know a place in ravenswood (i think) that is mine, if i ask at the right time. it is a block or two away from blagkfljshflvich's house (the new guy) if you know where that is.

and anyway, who says i won't be honking pissing all over myself?

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

- idkew

I agree with Taft. A great neighborhood is key. Parking is going to be an issue wherever you go, just some places are better/worse than others.

The Ravenswood Neighborhood sounds like a decent idea. It's not known for excitement like Wrigleyville is, but then, you get to sleep. And the Addison stop on the Red Line (EL) is only a few minutes south when you feel the need for Wrigleyville. I think you'll find you barely touch your car from this neighborhood. There are plenty of busses, but the Red Line is key.

One thing I'm glad you are doing is considering your options, instead of doing the 'popular' choice. Too many of my friends from High-school moved to Lincoln Park, because it was 'cool'. Now they're paying $2,000/mo. for a 700 sq/ft apartment with absolutely no hope of parking.

Myself, I live in the West Loop (yeah, Taft, roll your eyes :rolleyes: ), and that is one of those areas that is only now beginning the maturation process. But the parking is great! And it's safe where I am (between the Chicago Police Academy, and the 12th District Station). I moved there because it was a terrific investment, not because it was 'cool'.

And I'd be honked if I pissed on myself too! Or was it I'd be pissed if I honked- nevermind :D

BTW- Who is "The New Guy?"

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ravenswood is on the brown line. the line that is also known as "the ravenswood line"

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-zimv20

Oh, yeah. Sorry. Actually, he said Loyola. That made me picture the Little India area on Devon, between the Red and Browns.

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Re: Anybody from Chicago?

I've been there once...

I've also seen Home Alone, The Untouchables, The Fugitive, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Blues Brothers...

...does that count?

I feel I know the place.

;)

18. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

blagovich - your governor... i can't spell his name.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no worries. i live near ravenswood and recommend it highly. i do _not_ recommend trying to take the red line to it :)

20. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

one thing i have heard about ravenswood is thet it is a nice place, but two blocks away it gets a little shady... is that true? will i have to worry a lot about my tibook, gps, digital camera.... my very portable things?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that can be true in any neighborhood. and w/in a neighborhood.

you can do some research here if you'd like:

chicago district crime stats

districts don't line up w/ neighborhoods very well, but ravenswood is more or less in the 20th district.

a quick glance at this page:
    indexed crimes by district

seems to indicate that the 20th district has the lowest crime in the city (by total # committed).

edit: actually, as i look at the maps again, there's a good bit of ravenswood in the 19th district. not as crime-free as the 20th, but still not bad.

22. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Where excatly is that in the city? 15th and Ashland area?

I made that exact same mistake when I moved to Chicago. I got a place near State and Division and was miserable for a year (the party noises from Division are ever-present, and the crown is way too yuppie/touristy) while paying way too much money. The place I'm at now is a good comprimise between price and quality of neighborhood. Its expensive, but I consider the price worth it.

Taft

23. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I don't live in the Chi (Chicago), but I visit there quite often.
    When I go, I usually stay on the Southside of town in Hyde Park.

SOUTH SIDE
    Most people will tell you not to move on the Southside because of crime, but this statement is no longer true.
    The Southside is under going a huge reconstruction phase, especially in Hyde Park.
    Now don't get me wrong, there are still some bad spots, like: State Street between 35th and 95th, Stony Island between 43rd and 95th, and other places between those two streets running parallel. The closer you are to downtown, the more expensive it will get.

DOWNTOWN
    It is the best place to be, because of all the High rise buildings and the convenience of every thing, but there is no parking, and if you do happen to find a place to park, you will get RAPED in fees!! :eek: :eek:
    And it is astronomically expensive to live Downtown!!

NORTH SIDE
    The North side is pretty much all high rises near the lake and condos going west, so it is pretty pricey there, but if you have money to burn, move closer to Lake Michigan, near Lake Shore Dr or near Sheridan Rd. It is fairly pricey but ok.

WESTSIDE
    Forget it, don't even look!!!
    It is extremely ugly, dirty and old!!!
    But it may fit your budget!!

Happy shopping!!! ;) ;) :cool:

24. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Taft, idkew

"Where excatly is that in the city? 15th and Ashland area?"

Well, the "West Loop" is loosely referred to an area from the River on the East to Ashland on the West, Fulton Market on the North to I-290 to the south. As said, it's just starting to form a "Neighborhood" as this was the Meat packing and Warehouse district - )still is quite active on Fulton). Read: lofts. :D BTW- The city is trying to get the neighborhood name of "West Gate" to stick to this area west of the Kennedy.

This is different than the "West Side" that xrhajj referrs to. The West Side anymore is from about Ashland all the way to Austin. He's right. Not a good place to be - yet. I remember my neighborhood 10 years ago was just as bad. Used to be called "Shoulder-Holster Alley". Not anymore!

Myself, I live between Adams and Jackson on Racine in the old Daily News Building.

The area is very quiet, close to Rush Hospitals, next to the Blue line, and has Lots 'o cops.

Why do you ask?

25. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

You said you lived near the Police Acedemy and I didn't know where that was. I looked up the location of the 12th district station and it said it was at around 15th and Ashland.

Do you like living over there? I've been to a few bars in the Fulton Market area. They were hella-trendy places in the middle of this heavily industrial looking area. Pretty wierd.

I do like the area around Halsted and Jackson, though. And I've spent some time with friends a bit further south, in the Taylor street area. Thats pretty nice too.

The basic reason I'm asking is that my lease is going to be up in a few months and I'm trying to consider all of my options.

Taft