Anybody got this camera?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Apr 17, 2004.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The Fuji Finepix S5000.
    Can you tell me what its like, what you use it for, i'm considering buying it.

If you do have it, did you get a tripod or mini tripod for it, if so which one, i cannot find one that seems compatible, or do they just make tripods generally without having them designed for particular models.

2. Maritan macrumors regular

3. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Since the early days tripods and mini-pods were made with a standard 1/4-20 screw thread. I have an Olympus digital, 2 Olympus standard 35-mm a Bronica 2-1/4 and a 4x5 Field camera that was made in the '30s, and they all have the same female screw mount on the bottom. I have 2 tripods I bought 15 years apart without even thinking and they have the same screw mounts. Camera equipment is somewhat standardized, If the one your looking at isn't, then I would think twice about it, because the company is trying to get you to buy their products exclusively.

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

UK Dealer in Cameras & Tripod or Monopod

[​IMG] Tripods are standard for nearly all cameras, yours included.
    People often buy 2 tripods, one light and compact for travel, another for more serious photography. [​IMG] UK source for Mono/TriPod & Cameras
    I also love the UniPod or mono-pod my wife bought for me 20 years ago, it's telescoping one leg is compact and helps steady the camera when I need to move around a lot and don't need to set it on a firm tripod.
    [​IMG]
    The Fuji Fine Pix S5000 and Fuji Finepix S7000 are both excellent cameras. They are compared here:
    hhttp://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/ Compare both of them to the Kodak DX6490 in the same price range, very highly rated for its extra large 2.2" LCD (very helpful for both indoor and OUTDOOR viewing) and intelligent collection of capabilities. Comes with a free dock and other accessories. Excellent! I think you will like its whole system. Very Mac friendly.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_dx6490.asp
    If you are more serious about photography and want one of the top 3 most popular digital cameras today, consider the moderately priced Pentax *istD body with 16mm~45mm zoom (currently $200 mail in rebate when you purchase both), especially if you have a 35mm film camera background, you'll love this single-lens-reflex camera (what you see is what you get an image of). Plus, super telephoto ZOOM auto focus lenses are available for this everywhere, even used, like a 70mm~200mm which on the digital body turns into a 105mm~300mm zoom (35mm ratio). It costs about 3x what you are currently considering but it will be the last digital camera you will need to buy for a very long time. You can even get a macro lens for up close photos of miniatures.
    [​IMG] more views of Pentax *istD

5. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Thankyou for the replies, i actually only wanted your personal opinions of this camera, i've read countless reviews already and am ready to buy, i just wanted some info on the tripod more than anything, but thankyou for your suggestions. I'll check that manual out and i'll look at the other camera suggested, but i do seriously have a tight budget on this for the time being and its only for college, it has to be good, but not that good!

MacRAND, why havn't you emailed me back?

EDIT: MacRAND, that Kodak camera looks dreamy and I would buy it if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't use xD, a format which i have invested in which sadly means I can't get that camera you suggested, i would of because it seems better for the little bit extra i would be paying for it. Doesn't make it easier since the SD cards are cheaper per megabyte as well.