Anybody have 1.25GB RAM on MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Sup all,

I was wondering if anybody has 1.25GB ram on their macbook.
    Alot of my friends said that they replaced their macbook w/ 1x 1gb+1x 256mb with 2x 512 and told me the 2x 512 is faster.

Is that true?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think if you did a blind test comparing 1.25 GB to 2*512 MB most of us won't notice the difference.

I have 1.5GB in my MacBook (1024+512), and it runs a hell of a lot better than 2*512.

3. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I am running 1.25 in my MacBook. I replaced on of my 256mb with a 1G, and it runs very nicely, thank you!

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my macbook launches safari a tenth of a second quicker with 1.25 gb of ram compared to 1 gb, and i can feel it, too. :) of course i'm just making this stuff up, but i'm really hoping to notice a substantial difference with the 2 gb i just ordered.

5. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

There shouldn't be any difference except that more ram should be faster. New chipsets don't need matched ram to achieve full speed, they just need two sticks.

7. infz macrumors member

infz

The thing about RAM is that you don't notice it until you run out of it. And then, wham! So the key is to make sure your usage patterns don't often run over the limit, or else try to keep fewer apps open at a time.

I don't know for sure, but I reckon that the speed difference you get from having a dual pair isn't worth the cost of possibly running out of space. Then again, depending on what you're doing, you might not often find yourself in the range between 1GB and 1.25GB where you'll actually be helped by having that extra bit.

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You get the same speed with any two sticks of ram as long as you have two sticks of ram. There is no speed difference between 1GB+ 256MB and 2x512.

There is a speed difference between 1x1GB and 2x512MB though because one is dual channel and the other isn't.

9. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I replaced one of the 256MB sticks with a gig stick of Corsair ValueSelect. I noticed a substantial increase in performance. Apps load quicker, and more run smoothly simutaneously (sp?). I don't have a 512x2 computer to compare to, but I've read from multiple sources that no matter what, more RAM in different configs is faster than matched RAM but less of it.

Luckily, I plan on getting another gig stick here pretty soon. That's the best of both worlds. :p

10. Mr. MacBook thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys, thanks.

you guys know where to get a cheap 512 mb sodimm? hopefully gona buy a 512 and a 1gb.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you already have 2*256 in your macbook, just buy a single GB stick.

I have 1.5 because i *acquired* (took) a 512MB stick from my parent's MBP. They don't notice the difference, but i notice the boost i get, so they don't lose anything, and i gain more performance :D

But i could live on 1.25. Don't spend any more money than you need to; RAM isn't exactly cheap.

12. Mr. MacBook thread starter macrumors 6502

Theif *pulls out ak47*

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

just don't let me fix up your macbook; i might end up with 2GB instead of 1.5 :D

14. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I have 1.25 GB in mine. I was reading up on whether to get matched pairs or not, and most people said it wouldn't matter, so I decided to get a 1GB stick. It runs blazing fast compared to 512MB. I wouldn't know the diff between 2x 512 MB and 1x 1GB + 1x 256MB, but more RAM = faster. There's been a few times where I went over 1GB of memory use, and that extra .25 is sure handy.

15. pip11 macrumors member

To get the speed benefits of dual-channel operation, you need matched pairs. Regular pairs just get you more capacity without any speed boost in memory access. For dual-channel, both controllers must have an equal amount of RAM to address, so sticks of equal-size are needed.
    There aren't many benchmarks on the net testing matched-pairs performance on the MacBook, but Macworld has some advice:
    In another article, FPS is doubled in Q3 by upgrading from 512MB to 2GB. Obviously, both of these configurations are running dual-channel, but the extra RAM has a huge effect.

I would say that anything is better than the stock 512MB, but 2GB of matched-pairs is definitely the way to go if 3D performance is a factor. I haven't tried many 3D games on my MB, but Expose and FrontRow are both sluggish when running in clamshell on my 20" Dell, and full-screen Coverflow is unusable regardless of which screen I'm on.
    I'm planning to upgrade from 1.25 to 2 GB now that Newegg is selling 1 GB sticks of G.Skill for $70. I don't think RAM has ever been so cheap.

16. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

1GB seems fast enough for me, I tried one out in the store with 512 MB so I ordered 1gb. I have a friend with 1.25 and couldn't see a big change on hers...

17. JonBoy470 macrumors newbie

2GB is totally wicked!

I got a 2x1GB RAM upgrade for my wife's MacBook from NewEgg.com. The RAM is G.Skill brand, lifetime warranty, and 92% of the customer ratings were 5 stars, including a substantial number of customers who bought it for MacBooks, and it was $176 shipped. Works great, and the speed improvement is beyond words.

As for pairing/not pairing RAM. The Intel chipset in the MacBooks/MacBook Pro's /iMacs is capable of dual-channel RAM access. That is, it can access matched RAM modules in parallel, increasing throughput between the CPU and RAM. Given a mis-matched pair, or a single module, it defaults to single-channel mode automatically and transparently to the user.

A matched pair of modules will thus out-perform a single module, or mis-matched modules of equal total capacity. That said, the performance gain from not disk-swapping due to insufficient total RAM generally more than off-sets the performance loss from have mis-matched RAM. Given that you can max out the MacBook at 2GB for less than $200, it's hard to justify in my mind going for less RAM than that.

18. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Stop spreading FUD. You don't need matched pairs, and if you read the intel literature you'd know this. All you need are 2 sticks. As long as you have 2 sticks of ram you get dual channel. They don't need to be identical, there just needs to be 2!

From Intel

19. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Not true, read my post above.

20. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Those links are for a different chipset, and don't appear to support your assertion. Bonus points for misuse of "FUD".

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well clearly you didn't read them...

The first one gives details on the "Intel Flex Memory Technology"

The second one clearly states that the chipset in question has this technology. Go read it again. (Or see the attachment)

Attached Files:

22. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

The macbook uses the 945 GM chipset not the 945GT chipset which is the newer one.

I belive the not needing mached pairs for dual channel mode is new to the 945 GT chipset.

Which would be soo much nicer in a macbook with the gma3000 gfx which is a half decent chip for intergrated gfx, whereas the 950 sucks!

23. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

From http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html and http://www.barefeats.com/mincd.html

So... I would say that matched pairs are important for some people.

24. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Point conceeded, apparently I'm blind. However, from what I can dig up, the MacBook's video chip still takes a performance hit in asymmetric dual-channel mode.

25. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Those tests aren't fair. Of course you'll get better performance with 2GB ram than with 1.25GB ram. They should have kept the memory around the same size, comparing 2x512 Vs 1GB + 512.

Now the question remains is the performance hit due to the lack of ram or due to dual channel.

The part i cut out implicitly mentions the 945GM.