Anybody have a convertible?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sox, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Sox macrumors regular

My girlfriend is buying a Volkswagen New Beetle sometime in the next few weeks. She's loved the new beetles since she was a kid, and she's finally in a position to afford one. The only nagging question is - does she go with the convertible or not?

I told her that if she was going to buy an entirely impractical car with no backseat or trunk, she might as well go all the way and get one without a roof, too. She agrees, but the worry is about the winter. She's in law school in Boston, so low temperatures and wintry precipitation is definitely an issue.

I was wondering if anyone around here has any experience with the VW Beetle convertibles. Do they seal out the elements adequately?

Thanks.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

a convertable in boston? hardly seems practical... my friends have them in dc and we still only enjoy them for a few months out of the year... it's either too cold or too hot...

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd only by a convertible if it was designed that way from the ground up (like mine!) Otherwise you take a car where the roof is a structural component and remove it. This badly effects the torsional strength of the car. So a load of strengthening is put in under the floor to try and compensate. This never actually works as well as the roof did so you get a car that does not handle as well and weighs more.

Maybe if you live somewhere very sunny and only drive slowly?

4. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tell her to go for it. I've had 2 convertibles and live in Chicago. I owned a 1983 Dodge 400 and a 1988 Chrysler Lebaron-best cars I've ever owned hands down, including Hondas. All I ever did to those cars was standard maintenance-mufflers, brakes and oil changes (well,and a new paint job on the 400). The 400 was 13 years old when I wrecked it. My insurance wouldn't fix it, so sold it to a body shop. Believe it or not, they fixed it up and it's still on the road. Tell her that keeping warm in winter is no big deal, she'll have no trouble. Just make sure to winterize the roof every year. The dealer should be able to tell her what to use. Just warn her- once you have a convertible, you'll never want anything else. :)

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i own a convertible... and mr2 spyder.

i never want to go without the convertible option again.

the freedom i feel because of it cant be obtained from a hard top.

of course if i wanted to get a hard top for my ride i could.

7. mpw Guest

The hood will handle rain and snow with no problem. Tell her to buy a warm coat and scarf, I have a rule that if it's not raining or snowing the roof of a convertible should be down.

I hate to see any convertible driven roof up in fine weather it’s like buying a Mac and only ever using programs under virtual PC!

I think the Swedish have a saying:- ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes’

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

heh, my brother drives a convertible (new-style BMW 3 Series) and when it's kinda in-between weather i make him keep the roof up..otherwise you tend to get people looking at you like your crazy..or they just think you're trying to show the car off..

then again, there's nothing worse than people with convertibles driving with their radios on full blast. why? just why...? it's so lame (i have a bad habit of shouting abuse at these people when i'm walking down the street. one day, somebody will just run me over, i know it)

9. mpw Guest

Are you sure that look has anything to do with the car? :p

What's to show off in a 3-series?

5 Chavs went by in a little hatchback the other day in the middle of town. You know the kind of car, all wings, drainpipe exhaust and bad home-made body mods with a 50bhp motor and 100bhp stereo. Funniest thing was they were playing Shania Twain :eek:

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

To the OP - if she's aware that there are practicality tradeoffs to getting a New Beetle, much less a convertible one, then go for it. They are pretty much as well built as any small convertible.

A lot more than my Nissan has to offer...

LOL, the UK version of ricer-wannabes. I used to work with a guy that bought a beater CRX for $2000 and put over $1500 of stereo equipment into it, despite the fact that it needed about $1500 worth of mechanical work... :rolleyes:

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

heh, those are the funniest ones. I guess it's excusable to have a car like that while you're young..but i've seen 40year olds with cars like that! :eek:

actually, i kinda like the three series. it's not too small (i.e. Z4) and it's not too big. although, imho i prefer the old-style Mercedes SLK in electric blue (hard top though). i'd take that car over a BMW any day :D ;)

[edit: p.s. sorry for semi-hijacking the thread!]

12. Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, for the responses! You guys rock. I think she may go for it.

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I have an Austin Healey convertible in WA state and I love it out here, my father has a 2005 Saab 9-3 convertible in ...dun dun dun... Boston. Sure, it doesn't get a ton of use during the winter out there, but as long as you get a respectable type of car, the top isn't going to have any trouble with the winters.

The time with the top down is amazing OTOH.

BEN