Anybody have a recommendations for the Best game console to buy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    We are thinking about getting a system for my 5 year old and.... me. :D

Which system is a better fit for a 5 year old and.... me.

Playstation 1

Pro: Price
    Con: Old

Pro: Price
    Con: few games... (Correct me if I am wrong)

Playstation 2

Pro: Plays lots of games PS1 and PS2
    Con: Expensive

Pro: Backing by a Bazillion Dollar Corp
    Con: Made by M$

Don't get ugly please, but what do you guys think. Remember, I am not going to mod the box, or try to boot Linux (I have OSX thanks. :)) I just want it for games for primarily my 5 year old. And me a little bit...
  2. WorshSean macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2003
    Well, if you gamed when you were younger, you'd love the new Metriod and other Nintendo games. Plus, the third party on the Cube isn't as bad as people make it out to be. But if it's mostly for your son, I'd definitly recommend the GameCube. It will be the easyest for him to learn and play.
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    GameCube rocks. Mario Sunshine is great, metroid, the starwars games, plus a great deal of the games are on all 3 consoles. I would avoid the ps2, its kinda old now days, it still has great game support but the xbox and gamecube are doing just fine for game support now. I have had all 3 (ps2 died), and i modded the xbox so it gets used the most, but i love the gamecube to. And its cheap. If you not going to mod, gamecube all the way.
  4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I had kind of started hearing good things about the gamecube. Did you know it is outselling the XBox? I heard that a few months ago...

Isn't the Gamecube around $100 now?
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
  6. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    If I could find one I might consider it!

Thanks for showing me something new today. I had never heard of a Pippin before.

I had no idea that the XBox was an Apple idea stolen by M$!!! What a Pippin is...

here is an ebay auction for one...

Ebay Aution for Apple Pippin
  7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The GC has the best variety of games in terms of age group. You can get everything from Pokemon and Mario to Hitman 2 and Resident Evil.

The only drawbacks to the GC, for me, are the controller (which I don't think is handles the variety of gaming genre's as well as other controlers do) and the fact that Sega Sports doesn't develop GC games anymore.

8. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    another question would be: what kind of games would you and your kid like to play ?

Like Lethal said, I think the GC has the best selection of 'kid' games (for kids of all ages ;)) as well as a good selection of more 'serious' stuff. But if you are into a particular genre like racing, RPG or some sports, then you might want to consider the PS2, too.

I don't know of any game on the Xbox that would be suitable for a 5year old, but you might want to investigate.
  10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
  11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    The GameCube is the platform with games best targeted for that young cohort. I think you'll definitely be disappointed with the quality of Playstation & Playstation 2 games for kids that age. I convinced my parents to buy a PS2, saying that it would be great for my little bro, as well. They bought it and a couple "kiddy games," which were terrible.

Now, I thought it would end there. When I was little, it took a long time before I used to get a new game. But they are always softer on the younger son. They bought my little brother a GameCube the following summer.

He plays the PS2 sometimes, but it's mainly I who play it, when I'm home for breaks. It's geared toward an older audience.

He and his friends have a great time, though, with GameCube games, and I'd say there's enough of a range for the system to grow with him. He'll have a good time w/games like Sonic, Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brothers (in a year or two), etc.

There are less games, but it's the same as with the Mac software market. It doesn't matter how many games are out there; it only matters if the games that you'll enjoy exist. And, I think, that for you and your son, enough of those games exist for GameCube.

Yes! Soul Calibur was THE GREATEST game for Dreamcast. That game had brilliant graphics for the time, its gameplay was superb, it was really amazing. I can't wait to get SC2!
  12. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
  13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    no need for a gaming PC when you're looking for games targeted at 5 year-olds.

Stelliform's not exactly going to be playing Halo with Stell Jr.
  14. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I say go for the gamecube as well, it's $99 dollars now, and with that extra hundred dollars you area saving you can buy plenty of extras or some games, and if you shop at walmart I saw an ad that they were selling it for $80. There are also a lot of really good games on the system, thing is they go for quality not quantity.
  15. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2001
    DeKalb, IL
    Definately GameCube.

And for the so called "kiddy" games. They're still great fun. Like the new Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. I'm 24, and I play em all the time. :)

And a note on console sales. As of yesterday, I believe, the GameCube is currently the best selling system (current sales, not total sales since system launch. PS2 is still winning there, I believe.).

But yeah, get a GameCube. LOTS of great games coming. Lots of great games for you to play and lots of great games for your kid to play. Plus, I'm assuming the controller on the GameCube would be a lot better for your kid's hands. Buttons aren't tiny and it's not as big as two baked potatos. hehe.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Normally I'd say xbox hands down, but if it's for a 5yr old, I'd have to go with the crowd and say go with the gamecube.

(Can't wait for the new mario kart to arrive for my little bros gc ;) :D)
  17. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    I would also have to recommend a gamecube

I much prefer the exclusive games available on the cube, which are the ones you have to consider when comparing games catalogues. The price is another plus point as are the wavebird controllers and I find the actual power of the console far superior to a PS2 and not far off an xbox. As far as negative points go I live in the UK and Nintendo really dont care about Europe, it can be really infuriating waiting for games.

I wouldnt recommend the PS2 I had one for a while before I traded it in for the cube. I find it graphically weak and the controllers horrible, however it has a huge catalogue of games although few are exclusive. The main plus point of the PS2 to me are the peripherals, eyetoy is amazingly good fun, (I can remember my whole office spending a good 2 hours playing it when we should have been working oops) and the dancemats should not be laughed off until youve played one (I thought they were such a bad idea until I found myself working on one this summer). Also if you possibly think of buying the PS2 as a DVD player also, dont bother its awful quality, buy a cube and one of those $29.99 DVD players the woman got trampled trying to buy the other day.

Finally the xbox, I hate to say it but its remarkably good, except for the fact its the size and weight of a table, although this is a plus for yusing it as a cube stand or a doorstop (sorry cheap stab). It has a good selection of exclusive games, although id say the cubes are better especially for younger players and the graphics are the best of the current consoles. I would strongly recommend against the original controllers even for your bigger hands theyre not good, the smaller controller S controllers are great however. Also the xbox is a decent DVD player although you have to buy a remote to activate it, however remember you wont have to buy a memory card for the xbox. Additionally if you have a Malaysian housemate like myself then xbox games are remarkably cheap ;)

Overall: Cubes are always best (please apple give me a G5 cube)

sorry for typos my girlfriend is yelling at me we have to leave :/
  18. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    You need to decide between the Cube and the Xbox. I would not get a PS2 because the graphics look really dated now.

To make your decision, you need to look at the exclusive games on it console, and decided which games you like the most.

The Xbox has:
    Project Gotham Racing
    Fable (but also coming on PC).
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Half Life 2 (Also on PC and maybe on Mac).

GC has:
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario NG (new mario game, joint venture between Sega/Nintendo)
    Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (Although also on Dreamcast)
    F Zero GX
    Meteriod Prime 1 and 2
    Star Fox
    R Racing (lastest Ridge Racer game)
    Resident Evil Series
    Mario Kart

Just about every other game is multiplatform.
  19. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    My vote is for the gamecube. It is the only system that I play. The gamecube is, in my opinion, more entertaining then the previous mentioned consoles. Also, taking in consideration the age, the gamecube tends to have brighter colors and more recognizable characters, characters that will most likely be identifiable to a child. I have a nephew, age 5, he plays gamecube and gameboy, 2 of his favorite games are sonic, Super Smash Bros. I think that you will be very pleased with the gamecube, not only for your son and or daughter but for yourself as well :D
  20. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I've had all three systems, and I've sold the PS2 and XBox but would never sell the gamecube. Too many cool games, especially since I MUST have all the Star Wars games that I can get, and GC has several exclusives. Super Monkey Ball is also very cool for kids (and adult kids). All in all, I think you'll be happy with that choice. XBox was also cool, and I hope recquire one for Chirstmas, but GC is the best.
  21. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2002
    I bought a GameCube simply for the ability to play Metroid Prime and Zelda:Wind Waker. Now my 4 year old son plays with it more than I do. He is obsessed with Zelda to the point that he dressed as Link for Halloween this year. He actually completed the game with only minor help from me.

My PS2? It collects dust.
  22. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    For the 5 yrs old - go for the camecube. And get an XBOX for yourself.

Can't afford both ? Then its up to you. But for the 5 yr old the CUbe is the choice.
  23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    A few things, I'm 18 and I have a modded xbox. It runs awesomly and I love it for the conveinences provided by the mod. You alreayd said you not doing that though so it would probably not be in your best intrerest. The xbox out performs all of the systems and newer multi platorm games usually look better on it (tony Hawk Underground). That being said

If i had to buy a system today knowing i'd have to purchase al lthe titles I wanted to use i would get a gamecube.
    You can't beat the zelda, metroid, mariokart appeal. ... i play about 4 hrs of mario kart 64 a week in my dorm ... but that being said realize that you'll never get to play a grand theft auto game on the game cube ... even if you don't let your son you may want to.
  24. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    Gamecube seems to be targeted for the younger crowd. But I don't think they have many games for 5 year olds.

If you're looking for something for yourself, no doubt the XBOX is the best system. It has a hard drive, so you dont need memory cards, you can store music on it, and it has the best graphics.
  25. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Get a used SuperNES. Some of the best games ever were on that console. :)

Stay away from the XBox. Its the only game console I've ever actually seen BSOD on me. Was at a party and hear a yell from the back room. Ran back there with a few other and sure enough. BSOD with a error code on screen. :eek:

Go PS2 if anything. Its a great system. Never mind the fact that mine is collecting dust now after standing outside in line for 18 hours for it when it came out. *sighs* No time for gaming now a days.