Anybody heard of this brand? Deal worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MosesSupposes, Sep 2, 2006.

1. MosesSupposes macrumors newbie

So I found this ext. hdd deal at Futureshop...Never heard of i/o Magic before, so I'm a little leary of this. Says nothing about Firewire support either, but that's ok i guess. Any thoughts?

2. shawsinio macrumors regular

hmmm. ive never heard of them before either. when i was looking for a good external, i was told to buy a new seagate drive with 5 year warranty, and a macally firewire case. i didnt follow that advice, and ended up with a crappy external for about £10 cheaper on eBay, and i do regret not buying what i was recommended. anyway, the moral of the story is that no one ever regretted buying quality right? so perhaps steer clear of this one and buy a 'DIY' kit and do it yourself for cheaper? well, that my advice anyway...

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The hard drive inside if it is likely made by a major manufacturer (Seagate, Western Digital, etc) which is probably all that really matters. Its just you don't know which manufacturer

4. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

It looks like a good purchase...Future Shop/Best Buy are the EASIEST place to return purchases...!!!

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe up north, but not in the US.

Now Wal-Mart....they'll take anything back

6. deepy macrumors regular

Yeah, i'd recommend either doing it the DIY way with a good drive and good external enclosure or, probably better, just buy a good quality/brand external drive.

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. No kidding! I used to work there and walmart has no policy about NOT taking returns. All returns are ok except those that are prohibited by law. :D

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I hope your Best Buy thing was a joke. Returning things here in the states at Best Buy is an experience that I wouldn't wish upon my most hated enemies.

9. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

No kidding. I bought a Digital Camera from Best Buy. Had to return it on the 14th day because of a button that fell off. I was in the store for an entire hour while several managers tried to decide whether to return it. I was badgered beyond any good reason about how this button could possibly have broken / fell off. I simply did not know, and I know I DID NOT drop it. Bastards.

Eventually I got another camera.

Had to return that one too.... I went to another location and they were slightly better about the return this time around.

In short, I very much dislike Best Buy. Why I keep shopping there... I don't know.

Returns at Wal-Mart? It's harder to back my Jeep in my narrow driveway than return something at Wal-Mart. :D

10. MosesSupposes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies fellas. Probably gonna skip this one judging from most of your responses. I find Futureshop either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard to return stuff to, so I would probably rather have quality above anything else.