Anybody here get off for Veterans day?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Most businesses here but the banks and the post offices are open. All of the schools are open. (They take a week off for the week of Thanksgiving.) Does anybody else get off?

BTW a hearty thank you to all of the veterans!

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Anybody here get off for Veterans day?

nope. but the parade in manhattan passed half a block from my office, so it was almost like i was there. lots of marching band music -- of which i heard about 30% due to all the drivers leaning on their horns, irate that they couldn't get across town.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was planning to go to school today (as a computer volunteer), because I assumed that public schools were off yesterday. That's how the Los Angeles Unified School District has always handled Veteran's Day in the past. Then I learned that I would have been very lonely if I had gone there today. LAUSD changed their rules and the actual day of Veteran's Day (today) is the school holiday this year. So I'll go to school tomorrow when the coast is clear again.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife is on vacation, so yes she has the day off. Since this is a Federal holiday there is no mail delivery. Schools are closed and no garbage pickup. Otherwise the everything else is open. It all has to due with money, that is why the stock market is opne.

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I do have the day off, but I had to go to classes yesterday. <Rant on> Since I had the day off today, I stayed out late last night with my friends, does anyone else hate it when one of your friends just starts joining your group and after knowing a guy for a week, wants to marry him? God, that's so annoying. <Rant off>
    So I'm going to enjoy my day off today, sorry about the off topic thing, I had to tell someone.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah that always bugs me when new friends suddenly want to marry another guy after meeting him a week ago.;)

Just kidding, I sympathize, but couldn't resist.

Anyway, got my trash picked up this morning, although there were no classes today, but that sucked cuz I could have had a 3 day weekend and instead get it all chopped up into pieces. Fall quarter is always the worst, there are no days off till the quarter is almost over for pete's sake. At this point I just want to get it over and then have a vacation. Stupid Thanksgiving is ruined because all my stuff is due the week afterwards, then finals happen the week after. So guess what I'm spending Turkey Day doing? Stressing over all the work I have coming. Super. Wow, there's my own little rant too, but I am happy to be off today. I should probably go do something.:p

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Trivia of the day: U.S. Banks are prohibited by law from ever being closed for four days in a row, so they can have a three-day weekend, but never a four-day weekend. That's why banks must always be open the day after Thanksgiving, even if the bank manager and his/her employees would love to have had a second weekday off, something that many other businesses allow.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm off!!! I'm off!!!

No school today! :)

(It's 2:00 PM and I just woke up)

scem0

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Anybody here get off for Veterans day?

I got the day off from school for veteran's day....

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Most people got the day off from school. Some districts juggle their days off and trade this one out for another day off somewhere. Like I said, the glut of days off at the end of the school term is frustrating for me personally, but that's just how it is here.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    schools here are off, banks, govt offices.. all off.

our co. works with govt offices and banks.. yet we aren't off.. most of the people here are just sitting around chatting. :mad:

12. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Everything in my town is open, except the schools and gov't buildings. My father works for the county and he has to work today as well.

13. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I got the day off today. It's strange, as usually we get Mondays off, but they changed it this year.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I see that you made good use of this day scem0. The only time that I have slept that late was when I worked the night shift 11:30pm till 8am. I usually got up around 3 - 3:30pm

15. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

For those of you who got the day off today, how long do you get off for Thanksgiving. Down here the kiddies get a week for thanksgiving and two weeks for Christmas.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

using that time they give you off to honor the veterans, aren't you? ;)

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We only get wed-thur-fri off for T'giving since we get today off.

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I spent a couple hours at the D-Day Museum today, and a few hours in meetings. I suppose I was "off" since I work alone. ;)

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

ah, we only get Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving. Although, we do get a month for Christmas, but I guess that's pretty standard for college.

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Unfortunately I spent the day off from college . . .

I also found out that for most of the day the University's online state library database was down. That certainly helps with research. :rolleyes:

21. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

The schools k-12 in my town were open all day. They only have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving.They do have 2 weeks off for Christmas though.

22. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I got the day off, but I spent 6 hours waiting for a tow truck to come and get my broken down car, and then waiting around for the crook...er... mechanic to give me an estimate. That's just about all the vacation I can handle.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is the way I remember it when I was in school. It seemed that it always depended on which day of the week that Christmas fell on as to how may days we got off. Sadly it wasn't always 2 weeks.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it was a somber day

we are in an occupation stage and the war in iraq is over, even though more americans and civilians have been killed or wounded since the hostilities supposedly stopped

many celebrations in my area were cancelled due to the fact that americans are geiing killed as we speak and it was deemed in appropriate

instead of flags being proudy waved at military cemeteries, flags were being draped over coffins which just came in from iraq

25. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i did. got to go home and rake leaves. then i ate dinner.

vacation days suck.:rolleyes: :(