Anybody here taken an Apple Pro Training Program?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Jul 23, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Hey folks, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my future and caureer and where I want to take my life and blah and one of the things I'm really intrested in is video/audio/graphics production.
    I was browsing Apple's site and found out some places near where I live (Santa Cruz, CA) that teach specialized courses in this type of thing ( http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org & http://www.bavc.org ) and I was just wondering if anyone here has taken these and such..

Its not something I'm going to be doing right away, I don't have enough money first of all and I'd like to be more sure that this is the right path for me before i start on something like this...so any inupt on this would be much appreciated.[​IMG]

Thanx,

-V

2. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31955

Delhap or whatever took the Desktop cert course or something. On second look I guess that doesn't help...sorry.

If you'd like to specialize your career in dropping teasing little comments here and there all over the forums I'll write you a letter of reccomendation ;)

Do you have the hardware to have bigtime happy fun with your own experiments? A good portfolio is as good as anything. I like to check up on the Blizzard jobs a lot personally so I know, if I wanted to, what I would need to do, and between that, Ion Storm (back in the day) and a few others I'd say in the creative field they generally don't give a crap what your education is if you have a portfolio.

Someone who is actually a professional and not a big failure dropout who spends more time messing around with the forums and watching TV than working on the portfolio he keeps saying he'll put together to get him his dream job making rave fliers...whew...might be able to confirm/refute this.

3. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

[​IMG]
    "Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake!! BEEFCAKE!!"

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Not really, the fastest Mac I own is 300Mhz so I can't exactly do FCP or anything like that on it, I do have Photoshop 5.0 on it that I mess around with from time to time, graphics are an intrest of mine but if I had to choose betwen graphics or video, I'd take video, I have messed around with Premire on my PC (trial version) and it was pretty fun which origionally peaked my intrests in this sort of thing, I have messed around with iMovie on my iBook, does that count?

Anyhoo, I'm just looking into the training and education part of it for now, the one in San Francisco has a youth training service but I'm not qualified for that since I'm 19 now but at least I know that there are things out there like this for me and such, ahhhhh....

5. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Damn, 300 MHz aint gonna do you much FCP.

So what's your school situation if you don't mind my asking? I'll give you a piece of advice before you answer, and you've probably already heard this from someone -- always try to have something going at the JC or something, a few credits a semester will add up real quick if you get caught in the workforce for a few years. You can find yourself 22 or 23 with fourty or fifty GE credits, or you can not because you couldn't go full time and didn't bother.

That may not apply to you at all, but JIC it is you'll thank yourself.

Oh, and me, you'll say "Thanks BaghdadBob, that was the best advice I've ever had!" :D

6. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I'm going to Cabrillo in Aptos this September, its a junior college here and I'm paying for it out of my own pocket so..

I origionally planned on going there for a couple years or so, enough to get enough transfer credits to go to UCSC but then I saw this which isn't as varied as a University, but more in the direction that I'd like to go so I'm a bit torn...[​IMG]

One thing is for certain though, I am going to go to Cabrillo for at least a year or so, even if I'm not going to transfer to a higher college or university, I can at least get started and decide where I want to go from there so I can start taking classes that both intrest me and would transfer over to UCSC if I decide to go that route....arrgh, so...many..possibilities...

BTW, Cabrillo is reputed to have a pretty damn good music program so I can at least start on that in case I want to take Apple's training instead of college for now..[​IMG]

7. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    hey sweetie

I don't know if it is any help, but a couple of years ago I took Apple's course in OSX Server and Workgroup Manager...it was a week long course in Santa Monica and it was da friggin' BOMB. Great teachers, very professional, lots of material to take back with me, money well spent.

vniow, I'm glad you're taking a look at things and evaluating the future, etc. But let me tell ya somethin'...ya don't have to write anything in stone, 'specially at your age. I really didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up until, oh, about 5 or 6 years ago. All the experience you gather along in life is great stuff, and you may make major changes here and there in the years to come, and it's very natural.

So much for what you already know...;) ...I just care 'bout ya, that's all.

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Re: hey honey

Cool, thanx for the info, I'm wondering if I were to take these courses, how they wuold affect my college education, I mean, would I take these and get certified or whatever instead of going to college and getting like a B.A. or would this be like an extra class that I would take on the side or what?

Maybe I should call one of those places tomorrow..

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hey, it's cool you have an idea of what you want to do with your life. I don't know anything about the places you mentioned, but I think it might be worth your while to go.
    I say this because I screwed around for a couple of years before getting into college, and because I didn't know what I wanted to do, it took me years to get a degree.
    So in short, if you think you might like doing video, go ahead and do it. You won't regret it.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

v, come to England and do a degree in London:D

we teach a lot of Music Tech stuff for Apple and Digidesign, as well as full degree and MA level courses, can't have too much education, I start my Phd in September:eek: