Anybody in here Left-Handed?

Discussion in 'Community' started by macka, Mar 23, 2004.

1. macka macrumors regular

I am dying of curiosity.

Any fellow left handers who have experienced discrimination/bias/stereotyping in any way?
    Have you noticed the discrimination change over time?

If you could describe your personal experiences that would be great. I need the information for a school assessment. For anybody who knows, it's the all too important HSC year.

I'd appreciate it if you would note down your age group. (You don't have to if you really don't want to, but I wouldn't ask otherwise) :)

A: <18
    B: 18-25
    C: 26-35
    D: 36-45
    E: >46

By the way, I'd appreciate any input from the right-handed people too and any thoughts (you're just as special ;) )

Thanks.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think left handers are good against right-handed batters. How's that for a stereotype.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm left handed and when I was in the second grade, my teacher said I was a child of the devil since the left hand shows my wicked nature. She used to hit me with her ruler, accuse me of stuff that others did, and all kinds of crap. I told my dad, who is a minister, and he told me if she hit me anymore to just hit her back and if she complains to him about it he'll come in and give her a talk. Needless to say, since my dad is a "man of the cloth" she got quite the nervous shock that she had been abusing a minister's son and was too scared to say another word to me again. Besides that, the only thing that pisses me off is how Microsoft and a few others seem to be under the impression that there is no such thing as a left handed person when designing mice, keyboards, laptops, and other hardware. Same goes with scissors, musical instruments, can openers, the little flip up tables on lecture hall desks, etc. At least God created Adam as a leftie. ;)

edit: I'm 21, by the way.

Attached Files:

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Wow PBG5, we're quite a bit alike. We're both left-handed, under 25, and PK's. My kindergarden teacher forced me to use right handed scissors, and I still do to this day. Weird. I used to always use my mouse as a lefty, but now I use right handies since I use Maya and you need the three buttons.

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

im left handed and 25... i went to catholic school and no teacher or nun ever scolded me for it... i do some things right handed though... like play guitar and bowl... either way... im proud to be left handed...

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My mom is left-handed, but I escaped the dreaded curse.

I did play trumpet left-handed for a month or two when I pulled a tendon in my right middle finger playing basketball. In fact, I played the solo in the school's winter concert left-handed, and I did OK. My brain was able to send the same signals to the other hand.

I hadn't realized before that my trumpet was designed only for righties, so I learned something about the plight of the southpaw.

7. macka thread starter macrumors regular

It ain't a curse! it's a blessing. :eek: :p

Oh better watch out, you're gonna get the other lefties coming down on you like a pile of bricks. ;) :D

I must say, what I find annoying is having to shift the mouse around on somebody else's computer. Of course, only PC users have a problem with me doing that...
    And sport: baseball? A right handed glove isn't common.
    Nor is there such a thing as left handed hockey sticks...

Hmm. Maybe it it is a curse! :eek:

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

And I won't even see them coming, right? Or should I say left?

When I've taught beginners at school to use a computer, I ask them if they are left-handed. Left-handed beginners see the mouse sitting there on the right side, and some of them won't ask about moving it if I don't offer!

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

10. macka thread starter macrumors regular

No experiences of discrimination at all? Being left handed hasn't been a problem at all for you, like the rest of the 20% of the worlds population who are lefties?

Is it 20%?

11. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm a Leftie - and sit in Group C...

I've never encountered any problems being left-handed - in fact, it's been a benefit. My parents used to blame my clumsiness on it, but they were just down-right nasty...

It's great for my guitar playing - I play right-handed, but chords are remarkably easier. Same with the piano - I just "switch off" from thinking about what my left hand is doing, and concentrate on the lead stuff with the right.

The BEST advantage though was in Judo - I used to fight around 90% of right-handed people - so where it was a novelty for THEM to fight a leftie, it was natural for me. It worked well, as I made it into the Olympic team, with my sights on Barcelona. Unfortunately, a training accident forced me to retire from competitive Judo back in '88 (I tore the cruciate ligament in my left knee, and had an arthroscopy).

Damn. I coulda been a contender...

Boo-fricken'-hoo...

:mad:

12. gerror macrumors 6502

How can anybody discriminate lefthanded people? I'm lefty, the only thing i do with my right hand is using the mouse.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I'm a lefty in the A group, but I use the mouse and trackpad with my right hand. I have heard people say that left handers have horrible handwriting, but that is certainly not true.

14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm a left in group B, and I've played sports my whole life, and I played everything lefty, (except hockey, which for some reason I always felt more comfortable playing righty....go figure) and it was never too hard to get lefty equipment (like gloves), and believe me, there is certainly such thing as a lefty hockey stick, any skate shop should have a bunch, usually on the end of the rack of sticks. I also play guitar left handed. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of of artistic people tend to be left handed, which is pretty evident whenever I take a studio art class (I'm minoring in visual art).

15. macka thread starter macrumors regular

Sure people can discriminate against you for being a lefty....just in a covert way I suppose these days. In the olden days, you were a witch, the devil's child, whipped, beaten, condemned for using the left hand. Hell, even today in some countries the left hand is considered 'impure' and used for 'cleaning yourself'... :eek:
    In Japan, a man could seek a divorce if he found out his wife was left handed.

Me personally, I used a laptop when I was younger so I had a trackpad which I used with my left hand, so when I switched to a desktop, I naturally set the mouse to be used with the left hand.

Also, at the dinner table, I have a fixed seating position which I must have otherwise I'll ruin everybody else's meal by bumping or knocking elbows and causing a mess everywhere.
    Scissors? I still can't use them properly. :eek:
    In the kitchen? I'm normally banned from going in there... ;)
    Sports? Now that's a major issue, as schools and other institutions don't necessarily cater for the minority (even though it's not really a minority anymore, just shows how nothing much has really changed).

And um...I don't know about you latergator, but my writing is so illegible it's gotten to a point where I try and avoid it as much as I can (which is difficult considering I'm in my final year of high school). Thank heavens for computer keyboards. ;)

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm right handed but my wife and son are both lefties. I understand the seating difficulties and similar things. In terms of mousing though I am actually more likely to use the mouse with the left hand than my wife is.

I started doing it out of convenience once and stuck with it for a while.

I try to be ambidextrous but I am still not as good with the left hand.

17. gerror macrumors 6502

I've read once that lefties are more creative and ... they die a little earlier than righties.

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I wouldn't say I've experienced "discrimination," but I do remember the time I took the SAT test. We were in a huge lecture hall at the U. of Washington. They made all the left-handers enter the room last, so they could use the left-handed desks (which were the final column of seats on the far left side of the room). By the time I got to my seat, they were out of left-handed desks, so I had to sit in a right-handed desk. This wasn't particularly a problem because I was used to using righty desks (we didn't have special lefty desks in high school). However, because I was now sitting in the top-left corner of the room, I couldn't see the clock (on the back wall) from my seat--which made it difficult to decide how long to spend on each question. There was at least one section of the test that I didn't finish. This did not destroy my life, though--I still managed to get in to the University of Chicago, a great school where I met my future wife.

I think the public attitude has shifted from viewing my left-handedness as a "problem" to viewing it as a "fact".

I'm 37.

I should say that my experience (not feeling much of a problem) might be due to the fact that I'm fairly adaptable. I use a right-handed mouse. I cut with right-handed scissors. I do require a lefty baseball glove, though. One convenient thing--I don't have to switch my knife and fork around at mealtime--I just always keep the fork in my left hand.

19. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Leftie and glad of it - I'm still holding out hope for my 18 month old daughter. I'm the only leftie in my family (although my Dad thinks he originally was but was "realigned" much as the attempt made against Powerbook G5) but it's pretty common on my wife's side.

C age group (just turned 30)

The only "bias" or "discrimination" that bothers me is with carrot/potato peelers. Can openers are OK, and I just turn "righty" scisors upside down and they work fine. I really don't even mind "righty" mice; probably just because I've been using a mouse for about 17 years I have better control with using my right hand than my left. . .

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Oh I forgot, I can only right on the back side of paper in those spiral notebook because the spiral gets in the way and it doesnt let me right.

21. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

you're all sinister! sinister, i say!!

(ugh... sorry for the bad latin-derived joke. but it's early, and i'm sick, and i have to be at work anyway, so my brain is running at half speed....)

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my girlfriend is a southpaw and in the c group...

one thing i've noticed with her is that she is far more ambidextrous (by necessity i'm sure) than i am... which i think benefits her. i was just realizing how helpless i feel using my left hand/arm for certain things. whereas she is at least competent if not fully functional with her right hand with many things... that said, she still uses her left handed scissors from 5th grade... haha

23. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, I'm left-handed... at eating, throwing, kicking, and shooting. But I'm right-handed at writing and playing guitar. So technically I'm cross-dominant. But my left hand prevails at most things. Oh, I'm in group "B".

24. KCK macrumors regular

Another lefty here. My mom thinks I probably should have been right handed but I was stubborn when going to school and when someone would put a pencil in my right hand I would shift it to my left. The funny thing is I write much better on a blackboard using my right hand ( but I'm much slower writing with my right hand). I have always used scissors with my right hand and I kick right footed. I use my mouse/trackball with my left hand but when I have to I can use a mouse with my right ( but again I'm much slower)

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

baseball is the only sport i know of where being a lefthanded hitter has definite advantages... (i mean "definite" by design, not by simple rarity) being a lefthanded fielder, however, is a disadvantage...

hockey: is there a definite distinction between lefty stick and righty stick? i've seen both types - the blade curved both ways. i'm a righty and like to shoot from my right side - i was told this is fairly unusual and that most righties like to shoot from the left.. :confused:

sorry to take this OT a bit - i just love discussing sports. :D