Anybody know about Jewelery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Mar 29, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Ok, heres the deal. My aunt passed away from cancer in '96. She was wealthy, and was a very classy person. Most of her jewelery was hand hammered in Italy. Some of the left over jewelery was platinum (the stuff nobody picked out at first) and now my sister has some nice bracelets.

Well, my other aunt (sister of the one that died) stayed with her for 2 years during the sickness. My aunt was like the overseer of what was taken and what wasn't.

Well, just yesterday, she came to our house (we were having a family dinner thing). She brought some of the jewelery that she had leftover, and she was going to give away if we didnt want it. LOTS of nice stuff. I never really got anything from my aunt that passed away because she was a girl, and...yea.

So, I saw this ring, it caught my eye. I asked if I could have that, and my aunt said I could. She was happy that I got something.

I am trying to figure out what these markings on the ring mean. Its a nice ring, but I can't figure this out. Looks like a buffalo, a fish, and a shield?

Attached Files:

2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I have higher quality pictures if you want, just message me.
  3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    Your best bet is to take it someplace and have it appraised. I'm not too sure where you could take it, but if I were you, I'd do that first thing.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I'm not sure about the buffalo, if that's what it is, but a fish is sometimes associated with christianity, and the shield may just be a cross.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I'm just going to hijack this thread...

This isn't jewellery per se, because the word "jewellery" implies something of value, but I digress.

I don't know about in the US, but here in NZ, a lot of guys (including me) wear a necklace-thingy comprised of metal balls about 1 cm in diameter, all joined together with little metal sticks. Anyone know what these are called? None of my friends seem to know, it's just a "thing" :confused:

I can post a pic if necessary.
  6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    One ring to rule them all
    One ring to find them
    One ring to bring them all
    And in the darkness bind them
  7. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    search for jewlry hallmarks.
    I did a quick search and came up with this, they have a message board that might be able to give you more and better advice
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I can't find anything specific on the symbols involved. Hard to identify.

I believe the shield is the jeweler's crest, with his initials in it (his second initial may be "e" by the way, i know you had trouble with that in the inscribing). The buffalo and fish, i would have to guess would not be common for a jeweler to have, outside of a limited area: the Black Hills. that's my guess as origin. If that's the case, it's probably not worth too much, as it's obviously not the cherished Black-Hills Gold, which is their serious trade...