anybody know carpets?

Discussion in 'Community' started by nbs2, May 18, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

my fiance moved into the apartment where we will be living when we get married, and there is a strong smoky cigarette smell. i talked the maintainence guy about it, and he said it was the glue that was used to install the carpet (it has new carpets) and that it would go away soon. if the smell doesn't go away soon, he said they would have the carpet installers spray the carpets to get rid of the smell.

i was wondering - is he full of crap or is that the smell of industrial carpet glue - after all, i don't expect these properties to find the best glue on the market. also, how long do you think it will be here for?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Industrial carpet glue usually smells chemically, some smell fishy...

Used to work for a flooring company.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've yet to smell a carpet glue that's anything like cigarette smoke... and I have bad indoor allergies so i know my chemicals. Sounds like they're just hoping the smell goes away on it's own, does it look like you got a fresh coat of paint? This can help immensely with cigarette odor.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I've had issues with neighbors smoking and smelling that.

A thorough wall washing(don't forget the ceiling) will help as well.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Rent an ozonator for a couple of days and shock the room.

We used them in smoking rooms when I was working in hotels all the time.

Ozone will also oxidize a lot of allergens, dust and chemicals, too.

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Carpet adhesive does smell bad, but like the others said, it doesn't smell much like cigarettes. If the apartment is well-ventilated, the adhesive smell should be mostly gone after a few days and it will be more like "new apartment" smell instead. If you smell cigarette scents after that, by all means make them treat the room to get rid of it. It may be that you're smelling the combination of the two and only will go away quickly.

7. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

We were looking at that online. Are there places in the Annapolis/Laurel area (big swatch of land, I know) that rent them?

Additionally, we did try washing the walls, but to no avail for more than a day. It appears the place got a new paint job, as it looks like the painters weren't the most professional sort of people - there are some places where the paint got on door handles, etc.

I'm going to do some spraying industrial 'odor-neutralizer' (whatever that is) tonight, and see how the place is in the morning. If it is as strong as before I guess demanding a ozone machine be rented by them would be enough. How long would we need the ozone machine for to do the apartment - one or two days, or more?

I just need to make sure everything gets done quick - we have 30 days to back out of the rental, but the last 6 days will be busy as we are getting married.