Anybody know how to back up my iBook on my iPod?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by runninmac, Apr 29, 2006.

1. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Well its a sad time, I officially want to tear out my hair because my HDD is to small on my iBook so I think Im going to sell it in about 2 weeks but I don't want to lose all my music, movies, photos and documents so I have a 30 gig iPod and my iBooks HDD is 40 gigs. So what files do I need to backup and how do I do this? Should I reformat my iPod first?

2. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

First, you'd have to enable disk use under iTunes preferences, making sure your iPod is plugged into the iBook. Then when the iPod is on your desktop, drag and drop all of the folders of files into it. Af for what files, any files you want that do not come with a new computer such as your music, etc. Whatever files you want that you have put on your iBook such as contacts, etc. I do not believe it would be necessary to reformat your iPod.

3. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

hd

there is an app called ipodbackup that may be just what you are looking for. if you have all you music on the computer AND ipod, reformat (using the apple ipod utility) the ipod. otherwise you have 2 sets of music taking up space unessacerially.

just enable disk use, run the app, and it will copy your home folder to the ipod

4. runninmac thread starter macrumors 65816

runninmac

Thanks alot, Ill try the iPod backup app when I get done with my 11 hour shift of making icecream:(.

5. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

if you were making ice cream, i think id put a :) instead of a :(

6. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I'd have that face if I was eating it or maybe :D