Anybody know what the Apple Store return policy is on the new video iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kathymoore, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kathymoore macrumors newbie

Anybody know what the Apple Store return policy is on the new video iPod?

I know I can read the "official" policy on their website. I would like to hear from anybody who has actually returned their iPod for refund or exchange.

Thanks!

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Unless it was DOA its gonna be 15% restocking fee.

3. kathymoore thread starter macrumors newbie

no exceptions?

looks like I'm going to wait to buy it from BestBuy then... :(

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Why are you concerned? Were you planning on using it for 29 (or 13) days and then returning it, like you did with your nano to Best Buy?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you mean the poster is ripping off companies :rolleyes:

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sure as hell looks that way.

7. kathymoore thread starter macrumors newbie

That entirely depends on Steve Jobs. :)
    I seriouly doubt there's going to be another new iPod
    next month... but it's kind of hard to figure Jobs... :)

As for the returns... I've bought a little over $43,000 of
    stuff from BestBuy in the last two years.(4 computers
    and a bunch ofhome theater equipment for my home)
    I've only had to return three items(including the iPod
    nano), which add up to under $600. I don't think BestBuy
    would mind... or am I wrong? $600 of return on $43000
    purchase is not excessive in my opinion...

8. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'd say not necessarily. If you never plan to keep the item, but simply 'rent' it for a few weeks and return it, then yes, that's ripping off. But if you plan to use a more generous return policy as a way to 'try before you buy', I see nothing wrong with that. For example, I want an iPod to do true gapless playback before I'll buy another one (it's my one pet peeve). If/when that happens, I'm not going to take anyone's word for it but my own. That means I need to try it out with albums from my library, and satisfy myself that it truly works as advertised. If it doesn't, then I don't want it.

Most places don't let you come in and put your own music on iPods to test them out. If a store has a good return policy, I'll reward them by purchasing there. It's simply a calculated risk on their part - they do get more returns that cost them money, but they also get more sales. Apple has decided not to take that risk, but plenty of other retailers have. They can always change the policy if it's costing them money.

9. kathymoore thread starter macrumors newbie

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

How much you've spent there is irrelevant.

When you ask a question like "How long can I keep this and still be able to return it for a full credit?", you're basically asking "How long can I use this for free, and then leave them with a used item that they can't resell for full price?" What do you suppose happens to items that you return, not because they're defective, but because you just decided they weren't right for you? Answer: They don't get resold at the original price. They probably don't get resold AT ALL.

Apple charges a restocking fee because they CAN'T resell items that have been used for full price. CompUSA does the same thing. Best Buy will too, eventually. It doesn't sound like your nano was defective, which in my opinion is the only valid reason for a return.

11. jesuswalks macrumors newbie

If the return policy will allow you to return, no questions asked, then what does it matter if its returned without a "valid" reason? I buy things from costco (which has the best return policy ever, lifetime returns and exchanges) and return them or exchange them when i feel like it, obviously they dont mind too much if they're offering such a thing.

12. kathymoore thread starter macrumors newbie

I once attended a business seminar hosted by a economics professor from Princeton. He said one of the signs of financial trouble at a major retailer is the inability/unwillingness to offer customers a full return policy. (referring to large stores like Circuit City, Walmart, BestBuy, Costco etc)

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm curious how someone would've gotten the new ipod which is not yet in stores, and already returned it, in order to give the answer you are looking for.....

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've read on Spoofee.com that Costco will be changing their return policy starting January 2006. Thanks to people who abuse the system.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

So if you were to buy a [insert product type here] at a retailer and 3 days later, version 2 of said product is released and it's significantly better, that's not a reason to return?

What if said product isn't defective, but doesn't do what you thought it would do based on advertising or other information available to you?

I agree that purchasing with the specific intent of returning said product is wrong, but purchasing a product, using it, and finding it doesn't suit your needs, and then returning it is perfectly valid.

16. PharmD macrumors 6502

When I was a kid I used to abuse Good-Guys return policy of no questions asked by buying video games, beating them and returning them. I've grown up a little till then of course. In regards to these return policies, it all depends on your motive, as has been said here. If you are "renting" it, then that is abusing the policy. However, I have no problem with returning a good product that doesn't meet my expectations. I think what companies can do is just give store credit on all returns so the money still stays in the company. This might stave off some abusers because it locks their money into that location. Some companies do this I believe.

17. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

When I worked at an Apple Store (Seattle), we always told our customers that we had a 14-day return policy, after that they would pay a 15% restocking fee. However, our manager told us to say that even if they didn't return it by then, if it was "around" the 14 day, like within a week, that we shouldn't charge the restocking fee. If you put up a fuss, you should be able to get what you want.

We had a customer who bought his 5-year-old son a 30'gig iPod. After his son drove over it on his bicycle and broke it, the father put up such a tantrum that our manager eventually agreed to give him a totally new one. Apple's percentage of returned items is significantly less than other retail stores (like 7% compared to 20%), so they may be willing to bend a little.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

People like this father piss me off.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, do what you want. I mean, if you really believe this is the way to run y our life then great. Soon you'll be flagged and then they'll start looking at the way you pay where the funds come from etc.
    Now, onto more pressing matters. 4 computers and "a bunch of home theater equipment" from best buy does not add up to $43,000. It just doesn't. But then again, if you are willing to lie to a company about a return I am not sure your word is solid here either. Why even bother? I am not sure I totally understand your reasoning behind the buy and return thing. I mean sure, you get it for what 29 days? You get to brag about having something new and then it's gone? I'm not sure I see the motivation myself. Then again I am not much of a liar so it's hard for me to think like one.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is a valid point... more and more retailers are entering personal info upon making a return-- all of this data is being collected and is very likely that individuals are being flagged as people who abuse returns. If you look, some retailers' return policies now have fine print giving them the right to choose whether or not to allow a specific customer to return an item, at their discretion.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

They're definitely doing this... I read a story last year (might have been earlier) about a woman who got flagged by a clothing retailer (Armani Express, I think) for too many returns. They told her they'd no longer accept returns or exchanges from her, because they considered her to be abusing the policy. She WAS a frequent shopper there, so her rate of return might have been no higher than anyone else... but the sheer quantity of returns raised a flag, and they cut her off.

That's one reason why I only return things if they're defective.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

I just shop around, so my returns are spread out. ;)

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Usually I'll find something else more suitable so I'll exchange-- thereby keeping the store's money w/in... :eek: Dunno if it keeps me out of the database or not, though.

24. netddos macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy it from bestbuy either. they now charge 15% restocking fee on all mp3/ipod. I just bought video ipod from them and they had a sticker saying "30 days return & 15 % restocking fee"

[​IMG]

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Just want to make a correction. Restocking fee from Apple is 10%, taken from back of receipt