Anybody know when RAZR V3i comes to USA

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Sep 3, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I head it's coming to Cingular sometime this quarter, but does anyone know if T-Mobile's getting it? I like the PEBL, but there's no difference really between that and the V3, and if I were to sell myself to the phone that's accomplished world domination, I'd at least want to get the V3i with iTunes.

TIA

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry to have no answer to the actual question, but I just have to say I'm stunned you don't have it already, and that you guys haven't had it for sometime :eek:

Moto have a whole new generation of far better spec'd RAZRs coming from Q4 this year (so now, really), crazy that they haven't got the V3i to the States yet.

Very odd indeed.

er. anyway. yeah. carry on... :eek:

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Is it still not there?! Boy, not often we get technology before you guys, it's been out here for months.

Nice looking phone, the brushed metal looks way better than the regular RAZR but I hear the camera is actually worse than before despite having 1.3MP resolution.

We should have the KRZR here soon, currently doing the rounds on all the "Technology Preview" parts of the breakfast television set. Looks very shmick. The RIZR was in the paper last week with the KRZR as part of a column on the upcoming Moto phones. They've done away with the tragic UI on these new phones, apparently the new UI is much improved (wouldn't take much) over the current monstrosity.

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I know we're JUST getting 3G stuff here, too. They had a giant FCC auction over 3G bandwidth completed a few days ago.

From what I've read on Engadget Mobile, it sounds like Sprint is getting the KRZR K1m first --- funny that Sprint, a CDMA and not GSM carrier, would get the KRZR here first. I'm not sure if T-Mobile will be getting that for a while. I saw their fall lineup on Gizmodo and it's pretty much all fugly Samsungs.

For some reason, Motorola, an American company, has been releasing phones in other places, specifically the V3i. They did, however, realease the SLVR here first.

5. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

Sept/October or they will not release it. Just buy one online thats what i did.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

My friend is on T-Mobile and he wants to get one as it has everything he needs (quad band, good camera, music) and he's willing to pay $300+ for the phone, although I need something under $250 that has a camera, quad band, etc. Any suggestions? I've thought about the RAZR V3 and the PEBL, and I'm not sure which one to get. What're your thoughts? Thanks.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ugh, Motorola's suck. For the love of god, don't get one. You'll regret it.

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The v3i has already been announced by cingular, and all the stores around here already have up advertising materials, but no actual phones. They were supposed to get them back in June or July, then it was bumped to august, then to who knows. Sometime soon, hopefully. All of this is according to the manager at a Cingular store. Did the European and Aussie versions come with iTunes? Because it will here and that could be whats holding it up....

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, we got iTunes with it.

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you know if T-Mobile's getting it? I already know Sprint's getting the KRZR K1m :confused: .

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Well then I guess the only explanation is that America sucks. :(

I figure we should get the RIZR around 2010 while the rest of the world is getting phone head implants with 5G data while we still try to figure out how to use the internet from a phone.

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I doubt it. Mainly because all iTunes phones (ROCKR, SLVR) have been Cingular exclusive, so while T-Mobile may later get the V3i, it will definatley be without iTunes.

EDIT: Oh, and the k1m is the CDMA version. T-Mobile is GSM so they will get just the regular K1.

13. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I know that, I was just saying I thought it was weird that a CDMA carrier would be getting the KRZR before a GSM carrier.

By the way, do you know if and when T-Mobile will get the KRZR? RIZR? Thanks.

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

It isn't THAT suprising considering that the CDMA variant was released at the same time as the GSM version. The reason the GSM-CDMA conversion usually takes forever is that you have a phone like the RAZR which comes out GSM only, and then several months later the v3c (CDMA RAZR) is announced, then several months later it comes into stores. Same with the SLVR. It was announced as GSM, and only a few months ago when the KRZR and RIZR were announced did they also announce the L7c, or CDMA SLVR.

Nobody really knows, and seeing as they haven't even hit Japanese or European markets yet I would say we have a long wait ahead of us.

Of course, you could just buy them now!

EDIT: According to the Moto website as well as others, it should be shipping in the "second half of 06"

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

$2500 for a phone? :eek:

17. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I just thought it was strange that the base model of the phone is GSM but they release a CDMA variant of it first. I also thought it was funny that Sprint's suddenly getting all this Moto love after carrying hardly any motorola phones in the last recent years. And as for Cingular exclusive stuff, is Sprint's SLVR L7c getting iTunes?

Uhh, no thanks.

18. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Thats Nothing.

Oh, and neithier is this.

19. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

No idea bout the Moto love, but I imagine moto realized that CDMA Verizon had a whole lotta customers and that if they wanted to make more money they should bring out popular phones in both GSM and CDMA.

I doubt that Sprint is getting iTunes, and I know that verizon isn't for sure, seeing as they have their own music store thing going on.

20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You know, you're right. I now remember why Apple and Moto went with Cingular: they were the only one of the top 3 that didn't want to charge people $3 from their own stores. Sprint does have their own store which just sold 1 million songs since launched about a year ago. I saw pictures of a Verizon KRZR with the crippling UI, but I also saw the one with Sprint and I just feel like Sprint's going to have it first, for some reason.

21. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Hey does anyone know where a good place to buy a V3i or other unlocked phone? I'm living in Denver but I'll be in NYC for a few days this week.

Thanks!

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

eBay

23. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I've read a LOT of horror stories about specifically getting V3i's off eBay.

Any other ideas?

24. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If you want the V3i now, buying an unbranded model is probably a good bet.

Mobilebee.com (I dunno, they're based in NY somewhere) has the regular color V3i for $210.

eBay is OK if you know what to look for. A lot of products on there are cheap HK knockoffs (not the phones themselves, but a lot of sellers remove accessories or give you the cheap knockoffs instead).

I'd check out Howardforums.com and look for info there too.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17