anybody own a heart rate monitor?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Feb 20, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you do, please post. my roommate may have some type of problem with his heart rate, and was wondering if maybe someone could test it on them and compare the results.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do we need an actual heart-rate monitor, or can we just be capable of taking our pulse? :)

3. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

My room mate is a pre med student... he is studying to be a cardiologist..however you spell that...(i am merely a simple camera operator) anyhow... yes..he does.. but everyone is diff. What is his age? Height? Weight? Does he smoke or drink or do drugs? All of these are relevent factors and should be considered.. i have asked my room mate about this jsut now and he agrees...

This link could be of help i hope.... http://www.smm.org/heart/lessons/lesson1.htm

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well just your pulse might help, but a monitor would be better.

he actually went to the doctor today, and is supposed to be getting an appointment with a cardiologist....

here is the problem:

he is on the track team. but he is running very poorly. but we think his heart rate is too high, so he isn't recovering very good, so he can't run well. i think there's more to it than just his heart though.

on a regular distance run, depending on how fast i run, my heart rate is anywhere between 150-170 beats a min. the highest it might go is the upper 170's if going up a huge hill or something.

we did a test on this one day, and i wore the monitor and confirmed this. but then, we let him put it on for the last half mile or so to see where his was at the end, and it was like 192 beats per minute, which is very high.

and after about 5-10 minutes of stopping, mine was like 84 and his was like 128 or something, and i actually ran farther and faster that day.

now i know i'm in better shape than he is, but his still shouldn't be this high. his body can't recover, so he thinks he's over-training. (even though he's not running that fast)

any help on the issue would be appreciated

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have one but I don't use it because I end up working less if I wear it. I kind of like to wear myself out at gym :eek:

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, if anyone would be willing, could you do this:

wear the heart monitor and see what it is walking around. then go for a run, no matter the distance, and monitor it. then see how long it takes to go back down.

then just post on here the results, how far you ran, your age, male/female, and anything else you think helpful

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How is his breathing? Could he have a respiratory illness (like asthma)?

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

he doesn't have asthma. i assume his breathing is ok. he has been a little sick lately though, which i know and i think he knows can have an effect

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

It sure can. It's a good thing he is getting checked out as it could be something serious that has gone undetected.

10. BarryW macrumors member

I have a heart rate monitor, but I'm not sure people positing info will be of any help as it is very individual.

Over training could be a symptom, prolonged elevated heart rate, poor recovery, fatigue, susceptibility to illness.

If you want the numbers here they are:
    Max HR 180 AVG HR 165 over a distance of 4.8km, and at medium avg pace 6:42 min/km
    Recovery was 46 beats in 2min.

I have just started training again so the above numbers are a bit high, if you want I can dig up some older more "fitter" numbers.

Other useful information is to keep track of his resting and orthostatic heart rate, help determine fitness level and if he is over-training.

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, hopefully it's not too serious

thanks for the numbers. anything could be helpful, just to compare. you still are a lot lower than he is.