Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
I'm thinking of buying this machine and upgrading hard drive and memory to use for some web design and basic browsing. I chose this machine because I want an Apple but have very limited budget.

I was curious if anyone knows if Call of Duty Modern Warefare (first Modern Warfare) runs smoothly on this machine?

FX5200 video card (64MB)
1.8GHz G5 Single Processor

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
I'm assuming that wouldn't run the game at all.

Price is drastically higher but Apple Power Mac G5/2.5GHz Quad (PCIe) 2.0/250GB SuperDrive-DL (6600 256MB)... I may be able to get

Bodega.

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
I hardly ever play games, but I have that exact Mac and I've been using it as my audio recording machine for years now.

It's good to record with once you know how to use its limitations, but I wouldn't expect much in terms of gaming. I remember the latest Civilization being pretty taxing on it from the demo I tried. Then again, I probably had a bunch of other apps running at the same time.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Read the system requirements on the games box, or the developers website.

I'm 99% sure COD4:MW is Intel only. So no, it won't run on any PPC G5. Most new games are Intel only too. It'll run older games fine, especially if you put a decent video card in it.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
You're joking right? A single 1.8 will barely play Halo at a decent framerate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.