Anybody play amiga games on their mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CrackedButter, Jul 10, 2006.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I want to play a classic game from the Amiga, the trouble is I don't know how to go about setting it up so it could be played on the mac.

From what I know the Amiga was a PPC just like the Mac. So I'm assuming I need some emulator so does anybody recommend any or use any? I've seen the game on ebay but before I buy I want to see if it is doable or worth my time. Aside from this post I'm also googling for such information but you don't always get what you want with search engines.

Thanks for any input

*EDIT* - From googling, I've found a mac version of UAE and it needs one of those kickstart ROMS but would that be an actual hardware ROM or a software ROM. I'm assuming there will be some tinkering around with config files or something?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not easy at all, good luck with it. I could never achieve a good frame rate on my PowerBook so I gave up and just used my Amiga instead. though the plethora of options in most Amiga emulators I could probably get a better speed, it's just too much really.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Did you try it on OS9 or OSX?

Since you did try it, did you have to run the amiga OS on the mac OS, if you did what version and was the ROM on a floppy?

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've tried multiple times to get good Amiga emulation happening on OS X, but it has always sucked. The best Amiga emus seem to be in the Windows world (like most emulators) I have Paralllels on here now I might try WinUAE under XP on Parallels and report back.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

It is a software version of the Amiga hardware ROM. You should find links to it on your emulators site. If you don't use Google.

Right I'm about to install Amiga Forever 2005 Premium on XP (under Parallels), I'll report back in a few...

edit: back - and everything worked fine, I have Amiga Forever 2006 around here somewhere too but I can't seem to find the disc at the moment.

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

So are you suggesting I need to run windows under parallels in order to effectively run the amiga OS, all the while running OSX?

Btw, can it be any version of windows? I mean do I need XP? I'd be happy with just 98?

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, no, Amiga was 68K like the early Macs were 68K. There were add-on PPC cards (basically used as co-processors, not 68K replacements), but the OS wasn't PPC until recently with OS4. Emulation, aside from the CPU, is further complicated because of the custom chipsets, which have pretty strict timing requirements. Amiga emulation was actually considered "impossible" for quite a while.

--Eric

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm saying that currently the BEST option to emulate an Amiga is to use WinUAE on Windows. It just happens that it works very well using XP / Parallels on OS X. If you ever find a good OS X Amiga emu I'd love to hear about it, but in my years of searching I've never found anything that comes close to the Windows version.

As for your question about any version of Windows, who knows? I haven't ever used Windows 98 so I can't comment on it. If you have an Intel Mac and a copy of Parallels and Windows 98 sure go for it and report back.

9. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The trouble is, I don't and won't for at least another year. I plan on keeping my iBook till then.

I did find this website though: http://www.thinkcommodore.com/Forum/ they seem to be a more dedicated resource and will hopefully get some help there. If I do, I will post back whatever the outcome.

@Eric5h5 thank you for the clarification.

10. sorenladegaard macrumors newbie

This easiest way to play Amiga games on your Mac is to follow this guide.

11. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

12. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Just to let people know, I got the desired game to work and from what I can tell everything else works. Thanks to all.