Anybody playing games on their new PB's?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CrackedButter, Sep 30, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If so how are they performing?

How much RAM have you got onboard and does it make alot of difference?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have the stock 1.25GHz. I can play Max Payne at (almost but not quite) full quality with little to no loss in performance. The WarCraft III demo runs great as well. Once I get my hands on Unreal Tournament 2003, I'll let you know.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I play SimCity 4 on mine. In addition, I play tropico as well. I have just purchased Wolfenstein and Spyhunter, as well as Jedi Outcast II. SimCity plays really well.....let you know about the others

4. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I'm a big Ghost Recon fan and really wanted to Play it on the go with my new 12" 1Ghz.
    It does pretty good.
    My G4 Dual 1.25 with 1.5GB RAM and a Radeon 9000(64MB) runs it at roughly 30-40 (50-60 on missions with no trees) fps. Shadows off, all others max. 1600x1200x32 and Mipmap Textures at .09(very effective mod,BTW!)
    The 12" 1Ghz Powerbook with 512MB RAM and the nVidia FX5200(32MB) does about 20-30fps. Settings are shadows off, tree model max, all others medium. 1024x768x32 and Mipmap Textures at .08. It plays well like this and only very little choppiness is noticed. I honestly didn't expect much, so I'm very happy I can play on the go.
    This is possibly one of the most demanding games due to the outdoor environments, and the fact that you are controlling 6 characters.
    I'd like to see what numbers the 12" gets on games like Quake and Unreal. I don't play these, but the benchmarks are a standard.

5. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

If you're running stuff on a 17" then you might have to change resolution to 1024x768. I found this out whilst playing Tropico, as everything was a bit squashed.

Stuck a few other games on (all were originally on my 500mhz iceBook), but except for Links Championship Edition, all are board-like games.

Suffice that more RAM is always better, with 512mb being a standard for 2002-3 gaming.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I just got Tropico, too. It's pretty cool and not bad for only $20. It's the first Mac game I've ever bought since my G3 was never fast enough to play anything. I wanted to get Sim City 4, but I have it on the PC at home and don't have the time to waste 10 hours at a time on it like I did over the summer.

7. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

JKII, MOHAA, WCIII, RtCW all with pretty much full details on my 1.25 15" AlBook. Very smooth and very playable. Gets me through those incredibly boring lectures about political science.

8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Yeah, a lot of games play alright but I still want more power in my PowerBook.

9. dennis88 macrumors member

Buy Panther, it will increase the game performance.
    Someone with a quicksilver 933mhz and ati 9000 64mb went from 37score to 55score in a ut2k3 flyby test after installing Panther.

10. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Now have MOHAA (Medal of Honor: Allied Assault) and everything looks great with everything maxxed out (volumetric smoke & etc).

Only wish the cheat codes worked as described for the PC version.

11. scottwat macrumors regular

I'm looking to get a powerbook 15" superdrive in november maybe early december, 512mb one chip and upgrade to 1gb on my own. Hoping to game alittle, MOH spearhead. Have friends that use some pretty good pc's 2.4 ghz athlons and all, hoping to keep up with them. Any one have any idea if the radeon card can keep up? maybe even kick some windows loving a$$??

12. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Those windows machines can game better because the games were written for them and they are made to use those fast Ghz procesors. If mac games were G4 or G5 optimized and were dual processor savy mac gaming would be much better.
    That does not mean a 15" Powerbook with it's 9600 is a sloth at all, but with a comparable card and a 2. something processor a Wintel machine will get better frame rates.
    But since it's not all about frame rates, your Powerbook will be an amazing machine!

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

are you serious? Panther will even help with game frame rates? I hope we're not all setting ourselves up for a let down here, because the speed increases of Panther seem to be reported as better and better by the day.

14. dennis88 macrumors member

Yep.

"from macbidollue

"Panther makes us wonder every day a bit more. "le_mackeux" on our forums posted the results he reached with BenchUT2003 under X.2.6 and X.3. He uses a G4 Quicksilver 933 with a Radeon 9000 and 1.5 Go RAM. Tests were done under 1280*1024 resolution with demo flyby-citadel

Under X.2.6:
    Score 37.00
    Min FPS 11.42
    Average FPS 36.94
    max 121.27

Under X.3:
    Score 55.95
    Min FPS 17.4
    Average FPS 57.026
    max 192.117

Score improves by more than 30% !"

15. lewdvig macrumors 65816

FLYBY SCORES ARE VERY MISLEADING!

Flyby is a measure of videocard performance. This improvement is due to the ATI drivers being brought up to similar quality to the PC ones (which are now nothing short of breathtaking with the 3.8 release).

NV users may not get the same increase.

Panther will not make your CPU faster. In bot matches, games with heavy AI, or really intense online gaming, the driver enhancement will not give you a 30% improvement as the video card spend most of its time waiting for the CPU to catch up.

You can dl Panther from mlmac today and test it yourself if you like.

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Finally the voice of reason.

Will Panther be worth getting? Yes.

Will it make gaming possible on older hardware? No.

Will it improve performance for newer machines with newer video cards? It sounds like it may, but letrs wait and see.

17. Chucky macrumors newbie

Problem w/ warcraft3 FT and Panther?

i want to know if anyone else is having problems running panther and warcraft3 FT because my game keeps on freezing up me about 10-30Min in. :(
    I'm using the 1.25gig Powerbook w/512mb ram.
    Don't know if its a bug or just my computer.
    Thanx

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

oh lord, don't scare me. FT is the only game I play, (12" PB rev. B) and I don't want to lose it. In fact, if Panther kills FT, I won't install it (will be here on monday). Someone say it aint so!

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I dunno about WarCraft, but UT2003 runs great. Even when burning a DVD in the background!

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

No, a new 15" (it's referenced in the second post)

22. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I have the UT2003 Demo and it runs outstanding on my 12" PBook(1Ghz,512MB).
    I don't know how to set it to display FPS, but it runs smooth as silk 1024x768 with all effects on.

23. kparvez macrumors member

Warcraft 3

I have a 12inch 1Ghz powerbook, with 512 MB RAM, [the PB announced Sept 16th]. I have Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos [and the Frozen Throne Expansion]. It runs perfectly, and it sounds great, using headphones that is. Blizzard's great in that they release MAC and PC games at the same time, and on a hybrid CD, i heard that they will also release World of Warcraft, [the MMORPG] for MAC/PC at the same time too. Now all i have to do is wait for Dec 4th, when Halo is released, and I'm set. :)

Oh yeah, i have panther installed too. just to let you know.

24. crossed-over macrumors member

I am having the same problem. I wish I could uninstall Panther because I have not yet been able to play a full game of TFT without getting a crash. I'm hoping blizzard will come out with a patch soon to help with this. My advice for you die-hard War3 fans... Hold out on installing Panther for just a bit longer. I wish i had. :(

25. Chucky macrumors newbie

Hey Crossed-over,
    are you using the developer released gold master version panther or a purchased panther? I know there is supposed to be no difference b/w the GM dl and Retail version but still... I just received my retail (upgrade) Panther today so i was thinking about doing fresh install to see if WC FT still crashes.