anybody replaced a RESOURCE FORK on a damaged file?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by catrisit_neo, Dec 5, 2003.

1. catrisit_neo macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2003
    mornin' all :)

i hope someone can help or at least advise.

basically i need to try and replace the damaged resource forks on a number of files ~(ranging from jpgs to eps')

some of the files are so damaged that i can't even open them in ResEdit, although i have been able to get to the source in Resourcerer (though what to actually do once i'm in there...?)

i'm sure i could find out if i researched long and hard enough, but i'm not too sure where to start. so if someone's done this or got any clues where to go...

Ade :)
  2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    wouldn't have a clue but I thougt those disk repair doodads could fix resource forks. Like disk utility, warrior, norton. And yeah I'm not promoting Norton for all of you who enjoy whinging about it.
  3. yoniman macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2004
    No Help but i'm in the same boat... if you get anywhere let me know ...i'll do the same. Oh yeh Norton 8 doesnt fix the problem!!!
  4. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    jpgs don't need resource forks. There used to be a program for classic called ResEdit that apple released for free that would let you delete the resource fork altogether and open the files in a pic viewer. I don't know if an updated version still exists tho.

Similarly, EPS files shouldn't need a resource fork either--in fact, most data files don't have them and all non-mac documents are resource fork free so if none of this works, try to open the files from inside a viewing program or send them to a pc for viewing.