Anybody see Bill Gates on Daily Show last night?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brad.c, Jan 30, 2007.

1. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I want to like this guy for his recent philanthropic works. I really do. However, don't you think he has an amazing combination of awkward arrogance, even for a 50X billionaire? If only Jon Stewart was a Mac Geek.

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I caught the last few minutes of the Daily Show... I do admire Bill Gates for his charity work. Don't care for his company's operating system that much, but I don't think he's a bad guy.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do you happen to have a clip, I would like to see it.

4. brad.c thread starter macrumors 68020

brad.c

Canada's Comedy Central has quick links on their home page. I still haven't caught the whole thing, but did have a small laugh on his exit.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Seconded, and thirded because... why not? :p

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

It's probably on youtube I looked but I couldn't find anything.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Just watched it. Those that haven't seen it aren't missing anything. He just spews on about the same crap he does in all his latest interviews - Vista's security features, parental controls, and all those other things that have never appeared in an OS before Vista, ever. :rolleyes:

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I've just watched the clips on Comedy Central and my overriding impression is: Jon Stewart appears to me to be a lame/safe Johnathan Ross clone.

(Ross interviewing Gates would be great television.)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I personally am not a fan of Jon Stewart. I think most of his comedy comes from stuff written for him and not his own ideas. He seems to be more of a butt kisser then funny.

10. Love macrumors 68000

Love

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think Bill Gates did a few more interviews with other outlets as well. I read his interview with BusinessWeek. You can read it free at BusinessWeek. Read it, if you have 3 min to spare. Best wishes for him as he enters into philanthropy. If I were him, I would have followed the same path. After getting so rich by selling products (sometimes very poor quality, but strengthened to maximum by its marketing muscle and monopolistic behaviors), I would be thankful to the world who got me rich, if I were him (that is).

12. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I love how Gates pratically ran out of the studio when the interview was over.

I wanted Jon Stewart to ask him if he owns/uses macs.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, I don't know. You might not find him funny (I don't always) but he ribs his guests pretty relentlessly, and it doesn't seem to matter who they are.

As far as Gates is concerned, nobody should be too impressed by his charitable work. He's running that foundation pretty much the same way he ran Microsoft.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Gates was on Monday's show. At the end of his appearance he quickly got up and left as John Stewart was signing off to go to commercial - even before Steward had a chance to shake his hand. Last night (Tuesday) the Daily Show put together a hilarious clip of what happened as Gates was walking out. Shot from behind a guy dressed exactly like Gates walked through the halls of the studio physically pushing and insulting people as he walked by - funny as hell. I guess you have to see it to get it - I'll see if I can find a link.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's kind of hilarious to see this much ragging on a control-freak geek, while at the same time all of you worship an egomaniac sociopath.

Gates was his usual self. I don't know what else you could expect. As for the leaving, I guess he really was straight on the way to London.

17. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yep
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNDVDtMFQU

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

All? Worship? Really?

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True thats a little light now isnt, perhaps he ment in reverence or veneration or idolatry. Yeah thats the ticket because we all know Apple does no wrong ever never ever.:D

20. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

21. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

My apologies--I should read the full post next time :eek:

22. Boxer macrumors regular

I think he comes off as a very nice guy. I think that he is actually quite modest for a billionaire. I like how he doesn't wear flashy clothes or jewlery, he is just himself. I know, I know he is the enemy. But you have to be fair right?

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You have obviously never seen when Bill Gates hangs out with Britney Spears. That man can party like an animal.:p

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But the egomaniacal sociopath makes much prettier and more useful things. Plus he's more fun to watch. ;)

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who says you need to be fair. ;)

Don't be fooled by his geek persona. Bill Gates believes he's officially the smartest person in the world. If you've ever read anything he's written, you know that modesty is not one of his personal qualities.