Anybody see the new Sony Walkman?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bluebomberman, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    Announced just hours after Jobs's keynote...

Sad note #1: not available until mid-November.
    Sad note #2: announcment obscured by Apple
    Sad note #3: They want to sell a 512MB flash player for 22,000 yen (which is about US $199!)
    Sad note #4: The model holding up your product looks much sexier than your product.
    Sad note #5: Apparently, it has unique features like being able to play your most frequently played songs or to play songs from one year specifically.'s called "smart playlists."

Another pic:

Oddly attractive, and yet has a strange "cheap plastic salvaged from dumped iMac G3s" vibe.
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Neener, neener, sony!
    You'd think that they would have heard about the "special music announcement" and delayed it by a few days.

I don't understand why more companies don't have the item available on the day of announcement. I know I don't want to have to wait TWO MONTHS for buyin' it!

and... $200 for 512?! You've GOT to be kidding me! I'll get a 2 gig nano for that.. colour screen and oo hoo hoo, it's so pretty!

regarding #4: Ah, I love it when companies try to make things hot-looking by osmosis... maybe this attractive woman will make this thing less ugly? ha!

...Now, maybe if Steve circa 1983 were holding it... RARW!.... and that sony thing would still be ugly! (ugh, speaking of ugly, has anyone seen that walkman bean!? eewww... Beans are tasty and all, but... YUCK! I don't want to listen to one! ..It also looks like a weird eyeglass case...)
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    That's true of most products though! I don't like it at all. It looks really nasty and cheap. The only advantage this might have is the dropping of the Network prefix they have been using as it might have been confusing consumers Reg story on launch
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    that looks like it was designed by Skoda.

i remember when Sony were king of the music market. now look at it :(
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Those things already suffer from a serious serious fingerprint problem.

And apparently they will also be sold in 6GB and 20GB sizes (not flash, just HD obviously). I don't know about you, but the photo of the player in The Registers makes it look kinda cool, even the screen. No, it's not colour, but OLED? Cool. Too bad nobody will be able to tell that it's OLED, or what that even means.
  6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Another MP3 player ...

... and that's all it looks like.

It's a shame cos I'm still a big fan of a lot of SOny kit, but this really does nothing for me.
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I like them, Sony are bang up there with Apple when it comes to industrial product design.