Carrier Anybody still have AT&T unlimited data? Can you get it back, if you gave it up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Aug 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?

2. macrumors 68040

No way to get it back since its no longer offered.

3. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Still have it on one of our phones, grandfathered from the original iPhone. Gave mine up when I needed tethering.

No way to get it back, once it's gone.

4. macrumors 6502a

Gutwrench

My wife and I both have unlimited and hope to never give it up. I've read people buying it from others on EBay but don't know if its still being done successfully.

5. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

Can't get it back. They clearly tell you its gone once you switch off.

6. macrumors 68040

The only thing you can do is switch to a carrier that still offers unlimited. Depending on the area, they may have LTE. I suspect that once Sprint and T-mobile have built out there LTE networks, their unlimited plans will suddenly be limited in some way though.

7. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i still have my att unlimited plan. no intentions of giving it up hah

8. macrumors regular

I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.

9. macrumors 68040

FYI, you can now do FaceTime over cellular even on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan. I believe that change occurred a few months ago.

10. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

I still have the unlimited plan with at&t. I bought my first iPhone, the 3G on launch day. I skipped the next two and got the 4S on launch day. (I would have gotten the 4 but I was concerned about "antenna gate".) So now I'm on the S cycle and I'm happy with that. I'll be getting the 5S when it releases.

I hope to keep the unlimited data plan for as long as it's offered.

I've never heard of anyone getting it back once they've relinquished it though.

11. macrumors 68030

bradl

Only with the iPhone 5 for right now. The 4 and 4S still have to wait, as they plan on changing that by the end of the year.

Back to the OP: my wife and I are still on unlimited plans that we had with the iPhone 3G. Not planning on giving it up either.

BL.

12. macrumors 603

Carlanga

you can facetime using celular w/ unlimited, I do it w/ my 4S ;)

TS, I'm keeping mine as long as possible.
    Once you remove it you can't take it back.

13. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)

14. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You're out of luck.
    I still have unlimited data on 3 iphone lines on my account.
    Never switched away to save a few dollars.
    If I watch youtube or sling player for a few hours I can go over 2GB's of data.

15. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Maybe you need to reset network settings and see if that makes it work. It didn't in mine until a few months back that I noticed I could enable it. Make sure you are receiving the AT&T updates.

16. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I think they're rolling it out slowly. On all 3 of my unlimited data iphone 5 phones facetime over cellular data is enabled.

17. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Nope, not able to yet. My 4S, with a 2G (now 3?) plan automatically enabled FaceTime over cellular a few months back; tried the unlimited plan 4S and it's unable to enable it. Just tried it a few minutes ago, and still nothing. Thanks for info, though.

(OP: sorry for the brief highjack…)

18. macrumors G5

jav6454

What is gone is gone. If you gave it up, it won't come back.

19. macrumors 65816

Like most have said, once it's removed from your account its gone. Unlimited data is great. I have it with Verizon with unlimited hotspot. The only drawback is I have to pay full retail for my iphone. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

NOT TRUE! I willingly gave it up last year and went on the 5GB plan. I then called CS with this bogus story how I never agreed to the change. It was escalated in about a week I got it back.

So yeah, you just have to know who to talk to. ;)

21. macrumors member

bruceleroy

It is possible but not very easy. I called at least 10 times to have it restored. Depends on the representative

22. macrumors G5

jav6454

A single event in a very large pool of calls does not mean the plan will come back. It most likely means you got lucky.

Unlimited data is gone... for good. You best hope is to "buy" the plan from someone who is getting rid of theirs.

23. macrumors 6502

My friend cannot FT over 3G/4G (HSPA) on her 4S still. She's got unlimited data plan.

24. macrumors newbie

Unlimited plan here, used 11GB data last month on LTE. Never giving it up!

25. macrumors G5

jav6454

11GB? No wonder some of us are being throttled... true we have the capability, but why 11GB? What are you doing on a phone?

I view lots of YouTube videos and browse the web constantly, and even then I still don't hit 5GB a month... Mind you I sometimes kill in a few hours my battery due to web browsing/internet videos.