Anybody use omni tech ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coffey7, Aug 26, 2006.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I just bought 2 1gb sticks. It was $160. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Has anyone else used this ram in their macbooks?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Lots of people have posted on here about this company, as they do have cheap RAM. I've heard mixed things...hopefully it will work for you. By preferred RAM vendors are OWC and DMS. They're a bit pricier than the bargain basement vendors, but they know Macs and they know RAM...terrific companies to deal with.

3. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

On my linux and windows computers I never had a problem with any ram ever. Since this is my first apple I'm crossing my fingers.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Macs used to be picky about RAM sometimes, but the new Intel machines seem to be more tolerant about that sort of thing.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to agree with WildCowboy, I would recommend buying RAM from either DMS, OWC, or from Crucial. But I am sure your RAM will work for you ferretboy- I just enjoy the peace of mind that I get when buying guaranteed Mac compatible RAM from more reputable, higher quality vendors. :)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

saved $50 on RAM ...

kernal panics, corrupted hard drives, restocking fees, and hours wasted arguing with customer service ... priceless

7. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

I had a bad stick from them...took me a month of RMAs, replaced sticks and finally a refund to learn that a couple of extra bucks is worth avoiding hastles like that.

OWC all the way my friend.:)

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I hope your experience is better than mine was. I too bought it for $160 (2GB) off their established eBay store. It caused numerous kernal panics and eventually I just gave up. I ran memtest and the chips failed. I called the number listed on their auction and they are refunding my money. I am now going to be purchasing either Patriot or G.Skill RAM from NewEgg.

9. DocVT macrumors member

I've used two 1 GB sticks since late June and have had no problems with the RAM or my week 24 MB.

10. jkieffer72 macrumors member

I've got 2GB of OmniTech's ram in my MBP for several (3?) months now with zero problems.

JK

11. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Thank god! A few people are having good luck with this Ram. I never had any problems with ram ever. But, that was on windows computers. I hope my first apple is not picky.

12. phytonix macrumors 6502

I bought my 1G for my PB G4 almost a year ago
    and it worked very well
    Omin said, and it appears to be SAMSUNG RAM.