Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by Steradian
you could sell your Ti Book ;)

I watch movies on my dad's QS tower...when all the T.Vs in house, and my laptop is being used, (New years).

ShadowFax, Where are you going to college?
yeah, let me think about that... i sell my computer to buy a device to display what it's displaying. right :D

iam going to OU, hope to graduate with honors and get into a... better... grad school..

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
This is an interesting thread, Ive always thought who would watch a dvd on their desktop computer?? (mac or pc)

The notebook is a given...trips or whatever its nice to have.

But Ive never watched a dvd on my desktop pc for at least a few reasons:

1) I dont have a widescreen monitor. Tv is widescreen, and 57".

2) my computer chair just isnt comfortable enough to sit for 2 hours watching a movie

3) my computer speakers are good (5.1 Logitech something) but nowhere near my home theatre

I did one time d/l a divx movie of "Hgh Crimes" before the dvd was out and I did watch the whole thing on the desktop. I had to pull over the LazyBoy sit in to watch it. Not worth the hassle.

I'll stick with the tv.

If we are watching a movie in the living room, we often let the kids (3&5) watch something of their own on the iMac. They get a bigger thrill from the fact that they are watching a movie on the computer than they actually do from the movie! And I've learned from my parents' mistakes, my kids will rarely watch even a PG movie with me. No matter how innocent the movie may seem, they always end up learning something they didn't need to know yet.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
I watch DVDs on my 12" PB, but only really if we're travelling, or I'm on the train etc. If we're at home, I prefer to watch on the widescreen telly + surround sound system.

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
resolution...

the mac will actually make up the extra lines to fill your screen. I watch alot of movies both on my tiBook and my Cinemadisplay 23" they look great. You actually get alot more pixellation on a Large TV because each 'pixel' is larger. Most people dont realise this as they sit alot further away from a TV. On my Cinemadisplay the picture is awsome!

I cant seem to get the same quality on the PC but I suspect that its a monitor quality issue and not a Winblows issue :)

P

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Does anyone know if with my second monitor attached to my tibook I can play a DVD full screen on the monitor, and work on the tibook?

The same question goes for itunes visulas too...

thanks
h

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Let me check...

Not with Apple DVD player...
VLC seems to work well, if you don't watch widescreen movies and use cmd+1 viewing on a 640x480 tv. You must also position the frame within the second monitor (I prefer to have overscan turned on).

I did have a difficulty with image capture freezing while I was watching the movie though.

Rainy

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2003
How Can I watch DVD on my television using my G4 tower?

Hi there,

Does anyone know how i can watch Dvd's on my Television usin my G4 tower? Do I need a special cable? Or is it just a bad idea?

thanks for your time,
Rainy

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
You need a vid card with TV out. On the back where the monitor is, look for an S-Video out. If you do not have a S-Video in on your tv, you need a S-video to RCA converter.

P.S. VLC can now play DVDs in a second monitor easily.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: What about desktop users?

Originally posted by foofan
I can understand laptop users watching them, but what aboutthe desktop users out there?

I haven't owned a TV for the past 7 years. I bought the Toshiba Infinia PC with built-in TV tuner and haven't looked back since. I used that as a TV until 2 or 3 years ago when I bought an external Viewsonic TV tuner unit which allowed me to use any computer monitor as a TV. Then about a year ago I bought a Cornea Systems 17" LCD screen with built-in TV tuner. When I want to watch a DVD, I just hook up my iBook to the Cornea if I'm watching it with other people (Cornea also has built-in speakers and audio input jack), but the same would apply if I owned a Mac desktop - I'd just watch DVDs through that. I even bought the Keyspan Digital Media Remote so I have remote control over the Mac OSX DVD Player.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If I'm the only one watching, I usually us my PowerBook, or when it was working, My PC. Many times it seems to difficult to hook up the compuer to the TV to watch a movie, or even try using someones PS2 or X-Box to watch one, when all I have to do is slip the disk in, and it plays.

TEG

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
On the TiBook when on the road.

Sometimes on my PowerMac. I have some Region 0 PAL DVDs that won't play on my normal setup (because they are PAL) they work fine on the Mac. Also, sometimes I'll pop in a movie and sorta watch it in the background. My screen is the 23" so the DVD Player app only takes up a corner of the screen anyway.

For those who say their compute rchair isn't comfortable, either they don't normally sit at their computer very much or they should be getting a better chair.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Last year, my dorm had a huge TV with a DVD player, but for some reason it wouldn't play a few DVDs.

For that purpose my 17" widescreen iMac was perfect for watching DVDs. I had it positioned on the edge of my desk, so I'd just swing the display around to face the couch, put in the DVD, and then we could easily put on a show for about 7 or 8 people (which was about the limit for how many people could comfortably squish into our room). That screen really helps in a dorm room, if you've got your room set up correctly.

I must say, the stock Apple Pro Speakers are pretty decent, too. Even though there's a bit of distortion when you crank up the volume, they still sound great for stock speakers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I sometimes watch DVDs on the computer because of the increased detail over my standard (now sub-standard) t.v. The only problem is the sound, which is so-so for the computer and amazing for the t.v.

Of course, I can't get my 12 inch laserdiscs into the DVD-R drive in the computer, so I have to use the t.v. for them. :D

Macnasien

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Irvine, California
I watched a lot of times DVDs on my iBook and its great ! The Quality is much better then on TV and any Windoze !!!! A friend of mine uses a PC and he was impressed with the quality.
Thats also a reason for me looking DVDs on my Mac !!!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
My TV sucks, it's almost 20 years old, so yeah sometimes I watch DVD's on my PB. When I set the computer next to the TV and mirror it, there is no comparison. The TiBook wins hands down. Now I just need a good way to stream the audio to my amp without a wire.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
The DVD player on the mac doesn't properly upscale the 720x480 video of a DVD so you don't really gain much by using it. However, a good PC DVD program will upscale to as high as 1600 res. I watch movies on my PC all the time and they look sweet.

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.