Anybody whose PS2 didn't break?

Discussion in 'Games' started by steamboat26, Jul 9, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I used to think only a few people's PS2s broke, but apparently there is a much larger problem. My PS2 only works occasionally, and even when it does work, it stops reading the disk after about 30 minutes. Anyone out there who still has a working PS2, or did they all have some flaw :D

2. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

When they first came out, seems like only 1 in 3 worked off the shelf...

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    My PS2 is a launch console. I had problems with the laser a couple years after I bought. So I cracked it open, blew it out with a can of air, and it's still going strong.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I've dropped mine a couple times from a shelf, tripped on it, and have kept it on for days at a time (Accident). It works perfectly.

Though, its always been my secondary system, and I use it mainly as a DVD player now. [GC>PS2,XBOX]

5. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

i got my ps2 one week after it came out...still works perfectly. same old network adapter, memory card. ive gone through probably 10 controllers lol. Playing the whole SOCOM series is stressful. Been through 5 or so headsets. I use my leaf blower once a month to blow the dust out.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Mine still works. Got it over a year after it came out.

7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Got mine on launch day at Toys R' Us, haven't had a problem with it yet, I consider myself lucky.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Got mine for Christmas in 2001. I'm still using the same console, controller, and memory card. I haven't had a hardware issue with my PS2 yet. I did have one problem where my GTA3 disc had a tiny scratch that caused the game to lock up. A quick run through the Disc Doctor solved that problem and everything is great. I soft modded my PS2 so now I can play a SNES, Genesis, and Master System roms along with Divx movies. No mod chip required, just enough room on a memory card to save the programs and load everything else off a CD. So almost 5 years of use including 2.5 years of hacking and still going strong.

Oh, completely off topic: Don't let salesmen at places like GameStop tell you old PS2s won't play newer games. That is a load of bull.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Mine still works fine, though the disk tray got jammed after a six-inch drop to carpet and I nearly broke the thing trying to get it out. It's fragile.

10. wako macrumors 65816

mine works just fine, had mine since launch :)

oh wait... but then i dropped it while moving and it went to hell :(

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I sold mine a while ago, and it is still working fine for the person who has it now.

12. HughJ macrumors regular

i bought mine within the first few weeks of them being released and it (touch wood) still works perfectly well

13. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

What a stupid topic

I bought mine on release, i've never had a problem.

Its like saying 'Anybody whose MacBook isn't discoloured'?

No one i know has had a problem with their PS2

14. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I've had mine since '01 and haven't had a single problem with it. Too bad I don't use it anymore.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've had mine since the only good game was SSX (yes the first version). It still works. I've dismantled it twice to clean it out which helps keep it going.

Since I got my 360 it's not been turned on though...

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know you said people with good PS2's

Just to redress the good balance and paint a more acurate picture..

Err I'm on my fourth.

My launch PS2 laser died. My replacement is alive, but refuses to work on 95% of discs put in. :(

My Slim Ps2 replaced this and it just packed in two weeks after purchase.

Final Replacement Slim PS2 still alive.....

All ps2's were kept in a very clean environment, all discs are without scratches as I really look after them, so why so many laser troubles??

Xbox & Gamecube never had any problem with....

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought one just before the Cube launch. infact just 3 days before. Everything was fine until day 3 where it just wouldn't boot up anymore. Luckily I was heading into town anyways. Money back, bought Cube. Year or 2 passes, get an Xbox. never a problem with either.

18. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I have a launch console. I had some problems with the laser a little while ago so I broke it open and cleaned the laser with rubbing alcohol and a Qtip, it works great since then!

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Brother got one on launch day and it never really did work completely. DVD player refuses to work and blue bottomed games wont play either.

20. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

21. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

My PS2 was bought on launch day (without preordering - fancy that :)) and is still working flawlessly.

22. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

My launch PS2 broke about 2 years after I got it. 3 of my friends also have launch PS2s that have broken in around the same time. I have opened it up to clean the lens, and it helped for a few weeks, but eventually the laser just got weak, and it stopped working all together. Anyone that took apart a launch model can see how poorly designed internally they are.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I got a launch PS2, and it broke. Then, unlike many others I was quickly given a working PS2, which my sister proceeded to break. Because of all the problems, they just assumed it was their fault, and replaced it with another faulty console. Soon after they gave me a new one which worked, and I was left with all the controllers, so it wasn't all bad.

24. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

lol... YEAH!

edit: my ps2 works good too.

25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I got mine in 2003, and haven't had any problems with it.

*knocks on wood*