AnyFont Allows iOS Users to Install Custom Fonts for Use in a Variety of Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 31, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AnyFont, a recently released app from developer Florian Schimanke (via TUAW) allows iOS users to install custom TrueType and OpenType fonts to an iOS device for use in a multiple applications, such as Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

According to the developer, the fonts are installed to an iOS device via a configuration profile after being added to an app's storage in iTunes, which is a new feature introduced with iOS 7.

To use the app, .ttf or .otf font files must be installed to the AnyFont app using iTunes. Alternatively, fonts can be installed via Dropbox or Mail, by opening a file in those respective apps and choosing the "Open in..." option for AnyFont.

Once a font is added to the AnyFont app, a single tap will install it to a configuration profile on the device, which then allows the font to be used within other apps in the font selection menus.

While this is handy for creating documents on iOS devices with fonts that are typically unavailable on iOS devices, it is also useful for viewing documents or presentations created on a Mac or PC, as fonts can be preserved. The developer has created a tutorial that explains the entire font installation process, which is fairly easy using Dropbox:

AnyFont can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AnyFont Allows iOS Users to Install Custom Fonts for Use in a Variety of Apps
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2010
    Connecticut, United States
    Why do I feel like Apple won't let this stay too long in the App Store....
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 7, 2005

EXACTLY~! Which is why I just bought it without a second thought! I was itching for this long ago and BOOM -- there it is! Get it before it goes!
  4. macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oct 31, 2009
    Near Dallas, Texas, USA
    The best two dollars I have ever spent on the App Store. Working great with Noteshelf on my iPad. Installing some more to use in Pages and my other apps across my devices.
  5. haruhiko, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2009
    Can somebody test if these new fonts work with the newly released Microsoft Office for iPad?
  6. macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2010
    Somerville, MA
    The programmer behind this is a user here & first mentioned it a month ago. There's been at least one upgrade approved since then. I can't see Apple cracking down on it since it's using a feature they built for things like this. I just wish more apps used the OS font APIs so they could use the installed fonts.
  7. macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2014

Does not work with the new iPad Word Office 365 App.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2003
    You can do this for free already with the Configurator app; I guess this just makes it easier.
  9. macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2014
  10. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2013
    Is that an app available on the App Store? Or how do you do it?
  11. macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2010
    Somerville, MA
    It's in the Mac App Store. It's a program for managing iOS devices, especially when you need a whole bunch of them configured with the same apps and policies at the same time (like a school or corporation).

I'd say AnyFont is better for regular users because it does just one thing, and it does it on the iOS device itself.
  12. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
    Exactly. Also, Configurator is pretty easy to use itself, can do a whole lot more than just install fonts, and is made by Apple.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2011
    Wow, this is actually handy. Didn't even realize this was possible thanks to iOS 7. Guess it is one of those "other" features Apple doesn't really talk about, but is immensely useful.
  14. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2013
    I know OS X OS's tend to have extensive issues when bad or duplicate fonts get installed *cough* using any version of Mac Office *cough*, do you know if this is the case for installing fonts within iOS?
  15. macrumors member

Jul 27, 2009
    New York City
    Once the fonts are installed to a configuration profile on the device, can you then delete the app?
  16. macrumors 68020

Dec 31, 2007
    Colorado & Ontario
    Oh my. Something other than freakin helvetica on the iPad?

Apple's not going to stand for this, no sir.
  17. macrumors member

Jul 11, 2008
  18. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2008
    Yes, you can. The fonts stay installed as long as the configuration profiles stay installed.

Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.

Currently not. But I am already in talks with Microsoft and they have promised to add this feature soon.
  19. macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2014
    Is custom fonts really a new thing for iOS devices?

I'm still waiting on Swype-like functionality before I jump the Android ship. Guess I'll be waiting a while. =/

I throughly love my other Apple products, but there's just no way I can go back to hunt-and-peck style tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap *pause* tap tap tap tap tap tapping on a tiny on-screen keyboard. Not for my phone.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2012
    Custom fonts for iOS!? No way? It's only 2014!
    Must be an April Fools thing :D
  21. macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2014
    It isn't new. However, most people probably didn't know how till this app came around, or even more likely, didn't care, since iOS has every font I've ever seen used in any professional setting. It even has Zapfino. Love that font. :D
  22. macrumors 68000

Apr 24, 2006
    I'm grabbing this because I've got a non-standard, specialty font, with specific symbols that I need to use on occasion. Being able to tweak the Pages document(s) in question while away from my Mac will be handy.
  23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The standard package of fonts on iOS contains a lot more than freakin helvetica, but the ability to add others is very useful. I had no idea that it was possible before using the Configurator app from Apple (and now this one).

I downloaded Configurator but can't configurate how to install fonts. What am I missing?
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 31, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
  25. macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2007
    Ive got

Helvetica Neue
    Helvetica World
    Helvetica Light
    Helvetica Condensed
    Helvetica Bold
    Helvetica Ultra Light

Where can I find this "Freakin Helvetica" you talk about?