Anymore "20th Anniversary" stuff left to come? Oh wait....I mean, coming at all?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Oct 2, 2004.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I remember back at MWSF when Steve showed us the commercial from the SuperBowl back in 1984 and talking about how it has been 20 years of the Mac. I also remember him saying they had a lot of cool stuff to show this year. I'm not goig to say they didn't come out with some really cool stuff so far, but except for those initial comments at MWSF, there has not been anything else said about the 20th anniversary of the Mac. I was really hoping for some cool 20th anniversary stuff this year, and now that it is coming to an end, I am a little disappointed.

Does anyone know if they are planning anything else related to this special year?? Or is that commercial and the poster they gave out the only thing we are going to see?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I know they did do a special model for the company's 20th anniversary, but that was a bit different: "hey look, we didn't go out of business!"

Drawing too much attention to 20 years of the Mac might come across a little more like "hey look, our flagship product is old!" That's a perception Apple have been trying to get away from recently, and putting just the right spin on it would be tough.

3. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I know that the Macs 20th was great but the Lisa's 20th was forgoten:(... But oh well... On another note the TAM is great for the 20 years of Apple:)...

4. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I thought they would have played this up alittle more than they have. I am quite suprised. I have heard nothing on anything coming up.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I thought the iMac G5 was good. We will have Tiger coming soon which is way before longhorn. Powerbooks could get a dual core. Everything doesn't need to happen at the beginning of the year. Save the best for last there buddy. Just chill.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The cool stuff was the iMac, Tiger preview, Airport Express, iPods in BMW's, 100 millionth song sold, International iTunes (sort of), new monitors that look better in the back than competitor's monitors look in the front.

Well, it isn't so much on announcements so much as I feel Apple is getting more mindshare now. Hopefully next year, the Macs and Tiger will be the big news to the mainstream media instead of iTunes/iPod stuff. It seems to be the next logical step.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Don't forget the iPod Mini.

All in all not a bad year.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I still think they might be holding something back for Christmas, which means it would have to come out or be immediately available for late november at the outside.

A mini mini ipod would be a very good move. Cheap and popular.

9. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

how about calling "mini mini iPod" as "iPod Micro".. with flash ram and battery life about 30hours and smaller and lighter and only for 149$..

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

Just one sentence: "One more thing..." (coming in October/November for this year's holdiay shopping season. What will this "one more thing" be? A iPod Micro wouldn't be bad, 1 GB flash memory, 20-30 hrs of battery life.

11. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I dont want to restart a discussion of mith but how about a Cube? G5 or dual core G4, whichever is cheaper..

12. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

All that stuff is great.

I'm not saying they didn't come out with som really great products this year, I'm just saying there hasn't been anything else related to this being the 20th anniversary of the Mac. Nothing has come out that they have said "this is because it's been 20 years of the Mac" sort of thing. That's all that I am surprised about.

13. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you are looking for something to be named "The 20th Anniversary Mac", they are not going to do that again.

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

How about coming out with a cheap cube for about $499 , replacing the emac and then saying "Here you go guys, just what you've always wanted all along"?

Then we can reuse old monitors from 20 years ago to celebrate this fact!

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The cube was before it's time. I agree, replace the eMac with it and make the current iMac under $1000.

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its going to be interesting to see when they finally drop the CRT for the eMac. We know Steve wants to. Maybe they will go for a 15" to keep the price low...but then I think about the iBook and realise they have already got an TFT in schools. Maybe the next cube for the eMac would be like its big brother the iMac, but deeper and with only a 15" screen...iBlock :)

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, with Christmas coming it would be too much to pass. We still have three months left in the year. So anything could happen with the iPod, PowerBook, or a big surprise. Bring it on Steve! ;)

18. mms macrumors 6502a

Sure, it'd be great to have something for the masses for Christmas, but it's one thing to announce a product, and another to have it ready for distribution by the holidays. Considering how much production problems Apple's been having lately with their most popular products (say iPod minis and G5s), even announcing it now would cause problems with keeping up with demand. It'd be nice for them to get the timing right for once though. They just barely managed to miss the last holiday season with the iPod minis in January and missed the back to school shopping spree with a late iMac introduction.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Mmm...solid state memory...isn't that waht my PDA uses :rolleyes: OMG. Apple PDA :eek: .... ;)

20. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

This is almost as played-out as the PB G5 rumors. . . but I do think this would fill a HUGE void in Apple's product line.

I would definitely buy a G5 cube, if there ever was such a thing.