Anyone annoyed about gmail using Archive automatically for all your emails?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OverSpun, Jul 16, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Its good on my iphone, but in apple mail, now I cant ever find stuff. Its ridiculous. Now, I have to find stuff from the website gmail, and thats only way.

Lame! What do you guys try to fix this? :(

2. macrumors 65816

ijen0311

You can change it in the mail settings.

Mail - choose account - Archive on/off

Edit, now that I'm rereading, I'm not sure if you mean on the iPhone. If you're talking about on the computer, sorry...

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'm trying to stopping it on the computer. But, I cant stop it on my laptop or desk. Its good on my iphone, tho.
    Can I stop it on my computers somehow? I've been trying to stopping it everywhere.

4. macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

What's the difference between archiving and deleting? Doesn't it go into the trash either way?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

archive never deletes stuff, which is good on an iphone, but on my computers, I never delete stuff.. but now I cant search my inbox from mail, and its impossible now.

6. macrumors Core

iBlue

No. Trash is different. Archive merely takes the inbox label off and if you don't apply another label the email goes into the catch-all category of "all mail" (excluding trash and spam, of course, that's separate).

My Gmail inbox only has emails in it that I need to tend to in some way, almost like a to-do list. The rest are labelled accordingly and archived. Gmail's labelling system is really handy. I seldom delete anything but I have several different labels so I can search and find things again easily. (Such as labels for purchases, private message notifications, and all sorts of other stuff.) Keeping a smaller inbox makes the page load faster, especially on a mobile device.

7. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

Is is an overly difficult process, but you can set up your OS X mail to delete instead of archive.

Google it.

Search term something along the line of...

How to actually delete gmail email messages in mac osx mail...

personally, I just corrected this behavior myself a few days ago.

You can switch it to actually delete messages, but the process is (purposely) convoluted.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Ya, I've been googling for that too, and I cant figure it either. Can you show me?

9. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Awesome! Thanks!

11. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

No problem. Once you actually have it set up correctly you will need to hit the delete button to move the message to your locally set up trash on os x mail, and then delete it a second time from the os x trash to actually get rid of the message...and do not quit os x mail immediately because it takes a few seconds to have os x mail communicate with gmail to actually delete the message from gmail's servers.

Like I said, convoluted.

Why have apple and google made it so difficult to actually delete the mail one wants to get rid of?...Good question, huh?

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I think so too! It was such a pain. I've been pissed at gmail trying this. I was away from my computer in a few months in the hospital, and when I finally got home, and I though gmail deleted most of my emails... but later, I figured that with the archive stuff. Real lame.