Anyone around here play Go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Jun 8, 2006.

1. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    I do. I've never been officially ranked but I consider myself about a 20 kyu. I know, not very good. It's hard to find local oppoenents (I prefer to play live opponents - something about the tactile feel and visuals of real stones on a real board that I need to really feel how the game is progressing). However I will be joining a local chapter of AGA once I move to Tucson in a couple of weeks, so I'll start having local opponents to play, and maybe get an official ranking.
  2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I played for a few years, but haven't really persued it lately. It's a great game, but I had trouble getting any of my friends interested in playing (most of my friends are in the arts... I suppose it would be easier if I worked in science or tech). I went to a couple of go clubs, but in both cases the members took it way too seriously for me. I've played a few quick 9x9 games online, but trying to play a 1 or 2+ hour game online is downright painful.

I still like to crack open a book of go problems from time to time and work through a few.
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    God, I had a buddy that I used to play with all the time. That was years ago though. I might have to check into this...
  4. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I used to play years ago at the Japanese business centre in Sydney it was a bit of a bother though. However we had a 9 dan Chinese professional come over once and it was amazing to see. There were a couple of 6 dan club player who could give the 1 dan club players a 6 stone handicap. Well, Mr Wu (for it was he) could give the 6 dan club players a 9 stone handicap and wipe them up without raising a sweat.

Then he could replay the whole game afterwards, every stone from memory with variations. It was a sight to behold.

Anyway I've just come across this Go server that never used to work on Mac, and it is better than playing in person. The gameplay is superb it even has clicks when the stones go down. After the game you can save it and replay it. But what I like best is that you can just use a demo board to work out joseki and it makes it easy to go back a few moves and try a different tack.

I'm not real strong at the moment only about 20 kyu. PM me sometime if anyone wants to organise a game. If there were enough player here we could set up our own macrumors room on the go server. 7am here and Ecuador just beat Poland. Yay.