Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
Just wondering if any of youse guys have taken Bill Holshevnikoff's "Power of Lighting" Workshop? Worth it? (Be nice, don't want anyone getting in trouble here.)

I'm signed up for it soon, hope it's as good as it looks...

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
OK, not exactly an overwhelming response.

Do you guys not attend workshops, seminars, classes? Only Apple ones? How do/did you learn how to light, shoot, record sound, edit? School of Hard Knocks, or everyone here attended USC? Or do most just not use lights or external microphones? (I know some use microphones from other threads.)

Just curious...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Everything I know I pretty much learned thru practical experience. I have some PS and AE books (but they are more nuts and bolts kinda stuff). I've never taken any workshops, although if I had the free time and extra money I might take an advanced Avid workshop just to better learn some "under the hood" Avid stuff.

Lethal

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
OK, books are good (better for some people than others). Practical experience is better.

I took the Avid 101 class before Xpress DV came out for Mac. It was very helpful for a newbie, but you really have to work it to learn it, as I'm sure you know. I hope to get some more classes eventually, but I don't feel like I'm there yet.

And what is the meaning of that strange phrase "extra" money? Is that a foreign expression?

I don't want it to appear like I'm shilling for this lighting seminar guy. I've never met him or anything. I think he's given seminars at Showbiz Expo or NAB or some such, thought maybe someone here might have some knowledge of it. Anyway, it looked like it might be worth a gamble, and the 1-day price wasn't unreasonable... I know the hardware from Inkies to 18K HMIs, but it doesn't do much good to know how the tools work if you don't understand the best way to apply them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.