Anyone been playing games through Bootcamp yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JoeKarame, May 11, 2006.

1. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

I miss playing Half-Life 2 really...Are games working yet when people have been using XP on their Intel Macs?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Although to quickly answer your question: Yes, bootcamp works just fine with games. A couple don't work right (The PoP series is a pretty poor performer, in particular), yet games like F.E.A.R are smooth as butter on Medium settings configured just right. I have been playing EvE Online quite a bit lately.

4. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

What about Counter-Strike?

5. bericd macrumors member

Half Life 2 works amazingly well on my 2 GHz, 2 GB MBP. Full graphic details!

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Xp runs natively on macs, so it's pretty much a PC in a mac, meaning same performance. For what I've heard, it's fast as hell.

7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I've installed and played Age of Empires III and Quake 4 on my XP partition of my MBP, both run awesome. I'm happy.

Although I'll probably remove my XP partition soon. I almost never use it... In the very short time I've owned a mac (couple of months), I've really learned how superior OS X is... :)

8. bazotic macrumors newbie

bazotic

Anyone played the sims 2? I know, I'm lame. Ehh, what can you do?

9. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

yep, got it installed under OS X.. UB version, havent had a chance to 'get into it' though..

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

You are correct, and I hear hell is quite fast.

The ONLY thing I use bootcamp for is games, and its totally great.

11. bazotic macrumors newbie

bazotic

Can you tell me how it plays once you have? I've been so curious of how it runs with the underclocked x1600. What's the highest setting you can get it to without it dragging?

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've been playing Battlefield Vietnam on medium settings on a Core Solo Mini with on-board graphics and it's been smooooth. Woo! And it was fine on stock RAM (512MB), too!

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Of course, since I've been busy, I haven't booted into Windows in a month or so now...

13. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Impressive for the lower range mac!!

14. skillz1318 macrumors regular

counter strike source runs great at max settings...i love it

im on a 1.83 macbook pro with 1.5gb of ram

15. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

I do get fed up with seeing this "under boot camp" thing.

Once Bootcamp has done the install thing, there is no boot camp. The O/S just windows, the graphics drivers are by ATi and its just a regular CSM allowing windows to boot.

I keep seeing "Performance under Bootcamp", "Doesn't work with Bootcamp" or "boot into Bootcamp".

You arent booting Bootcamp, you're booting Windows XP. Performance is the same as any similar windows laptop running windows XP.

Perhaps everyone is still kidding themselves that the Mac is booting "Bootcamp" not Windows XP, and that their Mac is only pretending to be a PC. This "PoP Series" (whatever that is) doesn't work with your graphics drivers, or the motherboard, or perhaps the Core Duo, or maybe even some windows software. It has however, nothing to do with "Bootcamp".

Once its installed via BootCamp, your Mac boots Windows XP via a CSM like most other EFI based PCs out there. In fact, with the firmware upgraded, you can install Windows without Bootcamp!!

16. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

Exactly, it's just like all those military movies you've seen. You know, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket... Stripes :D

When you are done with Boot Camp, you move on. In this case, your orders send you to XP. You don't go "back" to boot camp. Ever.