anyone boot from external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by osufnl499, Jan 30, 2006.

1. osufnl499 macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2004
    Does anyone boot from an external HDD on here? My old iMac g4 has a bad drive and alot of people suggested to boot from a firewire drive because of the difficulty installing a new one. I was curious if it slows the system down alot? I only plan on using it for the basics... web, word processing, keep my music and photos.
  2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    if it's the older G4 iMac (7/800) i think the stock drives are 5400rpm, in which case running it off an external (most likely 7200rpm) drive will actually speed your system up, if it's a later one i don't think there's that much in it to worry about either way.
  3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...

It can be done but i dont suggest doing it all the time or as a "work around" for the one that is dead. My suggestion is to just replace the one that is in there. This could be a good excuse to install a bigger drive also!!
  4. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    I have. I don't know what rpm my iMac (1 GHz) is but my external is 7200 with 8 MB cache and I've booted a few times (to my PB backup on my iMac) and I haven't noticed anything being slower nor faster, but I wasn't really looking attentively at the speed. Can't wait for something to go drastically wrong inside (as long as that something is either my HD or optical drive, as I want to upgrade both of them, but don't really want to do it until I have to)
  5. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    No I don't think there is any speed gain from a faster external drive. Has to do with the firewire or usb connection, though I'd think firewire would be faster.