anyone bought a compusa protection plan?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mislabeledstar, Jun 11, 2003.

1. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

so i'm lookin at gettin an ipod and according to compusa if you buy their protection plan, you have the ability to return it in the future and upgrade to a newer model, you would just have to pay the price differnce.

well, i don't really care for or trust compusa much (the deal sounds a little to nice to be true (upgrading to a newer, more hyped ipod in 6 months).

so has anyone heard of this and/or used it?

2. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

i have the compusa plan, i got it mostly because i was buying an open box ipod and didnt want to take any chances. I was unaware that one could simply pay the difference to upgrade to a newer model. If they go by original purchase price, I can get a 30gb model for $120. Damn good deal if you ask me. Do you have any links for this "upgrade"? I couldn't find any info in compusa's site.

3. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I used to work Customer Service at CompUSA. The plan works basically like this: it's a replacement plan, so in six months you could return it and they would exchange it for whatever the "comparable model" would be. So like if last year you bought the 5gb and you took it back today, the replacement for that would be the 10gb. If you want to upgrade to the next model, you pay the difference of the current price of the replacement (ie, the 10gb) and your upgrade (the 15gb, etc). The only time this sucks is if say Apple would have dropped the entry model's price to $199 so instead of getting $299 credit (what you paid for the original 5gb) you only get $199 credit.

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah a friend of mine bought a 10 gig and had to return it 3 times, then he thought he may as well pay the extra 100 or whatever it was and get the 20 gig. i couldn't believe it when he told me, but seems good to me

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ok, hold on a sec... if you can just return an ipod anytime for the credit of the newest equivalent model, that's not really a protection plan. that's an elaborate "renting" plan, a very generous one at that! i don't see how compusa could be making money off of this...

did you mean you can return it if the unit you have is faulty? or can you really bring in a covered unit *anytime* you just get "tired of it"?? :confused:

6. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

As it was explained to me by a friend who had it explained to him by a CompUSA salesdude...

You're buying breakage insurance. If you buy a current generation iPod with the insurance and it just happens to irreparably "break" after a new version of the iPod is released and no more of your version's iPods are available, you get the current generation iPod or your money back, whatever is less.

As it was described..."drive a knife into it. if the knife isn't still there when you bring it in, nobody will ask you any questions."

Just passing it along, can't vouch for it.

7. mislabeledstar thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thanks for the feed back all...... thats pretty much what the sales reps saidf, but it just seemed a lil too good to be true. thanks for the in fo all

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    my friend works at comp usa, and basically everything we buy is covered by their plan. We even got our cinema displays (that we purchased for 15% off from Apple through an apple employee) covered by them.

It's great, even if you are an idiot and drop your ipod off a 10 story building, they'll replace it. One catch is, if you still want the replacement on the new one, you will have to pay for the replacement plan on the new one. So it's like you're paying $25 for a new ipod (if that's what the replacement plan costs for non comp usa employees).