Anyone bought from General Cybernetrics

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hockey Nut, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Hockey Nut macrumors member

Has anyone done business with these guys? If so, could you tell me how it went?

I'd like to get some idea before I give them $5000 of my hard earned cash tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Talk to Mac Rumors member BackToTheMac. He works for General Cybernetics, and many members around here swear by him. In fact, I've heard such great things, I'm most likely going to buy my next mac from them.

3. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

Great! They have some great bundle deals. I'm getting a 1.25 DP with a 20" LCD for me. And a 12" PB for my daughter and wife (and me). My son gets the G3 imac.

A round of airport cards, and our house will never be the same. I'm geeked!

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

do you hate your son? that's so mean!

assuming he is over 8 years old...

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've bought my current 2 Macs from them, and also my Wacom Intuos 2 tablet...

I highly recommend going to B2TM for your purchase...he's very helpful and knowledgeable... ;)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I highly recommend them, I've bought a TiPB and extern firewire drive. Great prices and b2tm is doing a great job.

There are quite a few others here who have bought from him as well. Teagbs, RowerCPU, mcrain (only ones I can remember off the top).

D :D

7. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all who replied. Here's what I got:
    DP 1.25 Powermac
    1.75 Ram
    60g HD
    Combodrive
    Applecare v3.0
    20" Cinema display
    $3547 no tax & free shipping since I agreed to put in the extra ram.

12" PB
    640mg Ram
    40 g HD
    Combodrive
    Applecare v3.0
    Airport Extreme Card
    $2247 no tax & free shipping since I agreed to put in the extra ram & Airport card.

Also got Airport extreme base and card for the PM. Airport card for the G3. Office X.

The only thing I need to get is a superdrive for the PM. Which one should I get so I can use iDVD? I know Pioneer is mentioned often, but which one.

I'm finally making the plunge into OSX, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oooh, that's nice - a PowerMac and a new AlPB! Very nice.

What are you planning to do with your new toys?

D

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Congratulations Hockey Nut!

You've purchased some excellent machines! Good luck!

By the way, what are you going to do with those bad boys?

10. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting into digital photography pretty heavy (for me at least), and want to do the same with video. It's a blast. I'll be using the PM for that.

The PB is going in my 12 year old daughters room. Very good kid, and very bright. She'll be helping me with OSX I'm sure. She gets it in her room with the understanding that anyone else can use it if they want to, especially the wife who came kicking and screaming.

My 13 year old son gets the old G3 imac. He's cool with it. He gets other stuff, like a shed I have to build for him so he "can work on stuff".
    He's happy to get a computer in his own room.

Anyone wiht an answer about what DVD-R/RW I should get.

Thanks!

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's one hell of a purchase! :D

good luck and enjoy your new toys!! ;)

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I'm sure B2TM made your purchase as good as mine. Heck, he even got the iBook to me faster than he had originally estimated. Great service there, and it's always nice to support a fellow MR member.

Hope you have fun with your new "toys"
    :)

Regards,
    Gus

13. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

i think its the A05 or A06, something like that. But I'm not positive.

14. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Pioneer A05 is the new one. It burns at 4x. A04 burns at 2x. You may have to flash the firmware in a pc first to get it to work, also you might have some issues trying to get idvd to work with it at first. Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com for a "how-to".

15. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I did some research and found out I need the PIODVR105.
    I remember reading that it has to installed in the top postion and the combo moved to the secondary position.

What is the best hard drive to add? Since the PM is only coming with 60g, I'm going to have to upgrade.

Am I better to add 1 large one (i.e. 120g), or 2 smaller ones?

One other question. Is there anywhere to download iDVD. My computer won't come with it, and I'm aware that Apple doesn't provide it as a download due to the file size.I've got a cable modem and I don't mind letting it download overnight. i hate to pay $50 just for iDVD.

Thanks!

16. Bear macrumors G3

There are a few resons Apple doesn't offer iDVD as a free download.
    • Size: 1.5 GB
    • Apple may have had to pay licensing fees for some of the technology in iDVD
    Add to that the fact that if Apple doen't get some revenue for software, they won't be able to keep updating the software. Bite the bullet and spend the $50, you're already saving money by not getting the optical drive from Apple.

As for your other question about hard drive sizes. Go for bigger drives. For digital photography, the number of disks is not an issue, what is an issue is space for your photos. Just remember to back up your work so if and when the drive fails, you don't lose all your pictures and work.

17. daniel77 macrumors 6502

i went to their website and it says you have to be a current customer to purchase. what does that mean?

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is so that they are legally complying to resale requirements. Talk to b2tm and it won' be a problem. ;)

D