Anyone built a Computer PVR (that's functional)?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zeke, May 3, 2003.

1. Zeke macrumors 6502

I have a hard time justifying spending the money on a TiVO only to pay a subscription fee for a company that may not be around forever. So, I've been looking at building a MythTV based Linux PVR and was wondering as to anyone else's experience with it. Any other suggestions would be great too. Thanks.

2. vniow macrumors G4

I don't have a Linux one (although I heard that MythTV is awesome) but I have an ATI AIW card with ATI's one software and based on my personal experience with it, you're better off getting a dedicated machine like a Tivo or ReplayTV, I've had too many problems with it to think about getting another one, the software's the real problem, everything I've tried on the Windows side stinks, MythTV is supposed to be really good though but I've also heard its a pain in the ass to get running correctly.

Good luck.

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Anybody fool with EyeTV? I was thinking about buying it...

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Its ok, it has the same problems as ATI on the PC, but not quite as good quality. Although it is not as good as Tivo and co. Tivo is better than any other PC/Mac based system, the only advantage the computer based systems are that they are cheaper.

5. coopdog macrumors 6502a

YES

I just got a new PC with the "WinFast TV 2000 XP Deluxe" for under $50 It's great! Even has an online TV guide, remote and very good quality. They have other cards for linux and other OS too.

6. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: YES

Does this have the capability to record while watching...that's one of the problems ATI has supposedly. How is the menu (as in can you not see Windows and just have the PVR software running full screen all the time). Thanks.

7. coopdog macrumors 6502a

to Zeke

You can record and and watch at the same time. You can also have full screen mode. In that mode the picture takes up the whole screen, there's no window its in or anything like that.